Not Showing any Growth and stopped eating Crix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kera

Hey I was just curious if anyone might have any helpful tips on how to get a Chinese Water Dragon to get back into eating crix and maybe any ideas on why my lil Nieryn is not really growing at all I have had him since Oct. 29th of this year and he was about 12" and not he is only around 13"...but has completely stopped in the growth dept...just a bit concerned about him...he is perfectly active and shows no sign of mbd at all and will gobble up anything that wiggles but it can only come from my fingers NEVER from a dish...pshh he thinks he is too good for that...lmao...but anyways...anyone that might have a bit of insight would be of great help...thanx all

Morquinn

Gray-bearded Member
Considering that your set up is perfect,(which I dont know if it is or not) I wouldnt worry too much about the growth, its not going to be that noticeable in that short amount of time. Waterdragons can become VERY picky eaters and will like variety. Its nice to give them something different once in awhile (silkworms, butterworms, superworms, earthworms, roaches, small fish) Shedding is a sign of growth and I cant imagine more then one shed in the amount of time you have had him/her.

Morquinn

Gray-bearded Member
Btw if your length is correct your dragon is approx a year old, expect it to grow anywhere from 4-6inches in the next 6 months

Lisafosc

Hatchling Member
Are you a beardie owner too? I used to keep water dragons years ago, have had two baby beardies since Dec, they have totally blown me out of the water with how quick they grow. I never rem my water dragons growing this quick, could you be comparing them? I really don't think you should, I'm pretty sure water dragons grow at a slower pace.

Derek32

Juvie Member
ik im a bit late for this post but beardies grow SO much faster lol. i bought my chinese water dragon at 14 inches in the beginning of december. hes now 15.5-16 inches maybe and started shedding today for the first time. from what i hear water dragons grow pretty slow. people who are on the water dragon forum at RZ seem to think they grow rele fast but i bet not many of them have had beardies :p just make sure to keep your humidity around 70% and his temps at 90-95 basking and 78-84ish ambient and you should be good. he could be getting bored and tired of crix try offering a variety :)

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
What is its tank like?
We have 4 in a 65 gal (3 are rescues, 2 are being adopted out once healthy)
and it has 6-7 inchs of water at the bottom and plenty of sticks and rocks for them to crawl out of the water to bask. 3 were and 2 still are suffering from tank stress, which sounds like what yours is going through. Only saying that through previous experience.

EDIT:
Forgot, they can get bored with food. try supers or mealies depending on his size, whenever we feed supers we clip their mouth parts to avoid injury if they dont chew it really good. (the supers not the dragon :) )

EDIT 2:
all of our water dragons are under a foot long, except the healthy (2 in burmation unfortunately and one very malnourished but on the mend) one who is 14 maybe 15 inchs long

Derek32

Juvie Member
LaPrice":2c8m5ujp said:
What is its tank like?
We have 4 in a 65 gal (3 are rescues, 2 are being adopted out once healthy)
and it has 6-7 inchs of water at the bottom and plenty of sticks and rocks for them to crawl out of the water to bask. 3 were and 2 still are suffering from tank stress, which sounds like what yours is going through. Only saying that through previous experience.

EDIT:
Forgot, they can get bored with food. try supers or mealies depending on his size, whenever we feed supers we clip their mouth parts to avoid injury if they dont chew it really good. (the supers not the dragon :) )

4 in a 65g?!? thats not even large enough for one.

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
yea i prefer beardies and more friendly lizards over the water dragons and especially iguanas. never met a nice iguana :p

Kera

Original Poster
Are you kidding...OMG my cwd is a perfect angel...he has never shown any signs of aggression to me or to my boys..(4yrs & 7yrs) he is one of the best pets in my lifetime...my beardie is the one with attitude issues...if she doesn't want u near her she will hiss n nip...Nieryn (cwd) has NEVER done that...then again maybe I just got lucky with him

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
probably i've heard good and bad from iguana owners. either there super chill or their the meanist things they have :p

Morquinn

Gray-bearded Member
This may or may not be seen, but I wanted to mention that a CWD enclosure should not have the bottom entirely water. Females need soil at some point to lay eggs with or without a male. Either by having the bottom as a soil substrate or having a laybox (my preference) with at least 6" of soil.

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
this is true, however we have males (1 very sure, the other not so much) and the other 2 died unfortunately, due to neglect from corporate petco\petsmart and a genetic malformation in one that made it unable for him to absorb calcium or process it effectively (basically he died of MBD, despite supplements and UV, natural and artificial lights). The smaller male is doing better and will be re-homed soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom