Repashy CGD and MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hephaestos

For those of you who don't have cresties or gargs, EVERY keeper and website will recommend that you use a food called Repashy. Repashy is a powder you add water to and feed to the geckos. It's supposed to be a full diet that doesn't require supplementation, although occasional insects are recommended.
When I first got my gargoyle gecko Sinaoh, I thought that Repashy was kind of a ripoff, so I fed him baby food with a multivitamin supplement and a calcium+D3 supplement and weekly insects. As expected, everyone I talked to about him shot me down and disregarded anything I said after.
He continued that diet for several months. Christmas came around and I had spare money, so I was buying all my lizards treats. (growing beardie got pinkies, water dragon got different types of worms, etc). As a treat for my garg, I decided to get him some CGD.

Since he has been on the diet (supplemented with occasional insects, as in not so many to throw off his phosphorous ratio) he has developed MBD. I recognized the signs fairly quickly (he is a very shy gecko, so I don't like to pull him out at night and during the day he hides), but he still suffered from it. Thankfully nothing that will be permanent as it is only on his tail, but he still suffered.
I have started supplementing the Repashy with a multivitamin and lots of calcium+D3. I even mixed calcium liquid supplement into his misting water so he can get calcium when he drinks. I am utterly upset that everyone in the rhacodactylus world thinks that Repashy is some godly formula when really it's a paste you can get for a heck of a lot cheaper, and with more variety too. When Sinaoh was healthy, he got strawberry, banana, apple and turkey. He was probably much happier.
The moral of the story is: TAKE EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE AGREE WITH THE INFORMATION. LEARN TO READ YOUR LIZARD AND DECIDE YOURSELF WHAT IS BEST FOR IT.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
hephaestos":lotkzqbt said:
TAKE EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE AGREE WITH THE INFORMATION. LEARN TO READ YOUR LIZARD AND DECIDE YOURSELF WHAT IS BEST FOR IT.
-I think this is an excellent reminder. I'm very glad any damage done was not life threatening.
Welcome to BD.org :wave:

hephaestos

Original Poster
morphmom":253cgkaa said:
hephaestos":253cgkaa said:
TAKE EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE AGREE WITH THE INFORMATION. LEARN TO READ YOUR LIZARD AND DECIDE YOURSELF WHAT IS BEST FOR IT.
-I think this is an excellent reminder. I'm very glad any damage done was not life threatening.
Welcome to BD.org :wave:

Thank you!
Aw, your Mylo is really cute, he kind of reminds me of one of my leos :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom