Operation: Gecko Grab. My first Gecko Rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Gecko board, I'm Randy. I usually hang out in the beadie section, but during my Craigslist-looking-for-beardies-to-rescue-browsing I came upon an add from some one looking to get rid of their Leopard Gecko. I don't know a lot about gecko's but they seem to fulfill a sort of mix between chameleons and other more handler oriented lizards, not claiming to be correct about that, just my first impression.

ANYWAY- long story short I'm rescuing a Leopard Gecko on Friday it comes with a glass viv. Looked like a 20 gallon in the picture. Other then that it didn't look like there was a whole lot in there. I don't know what's up with the lighting situation, it's age, sex, diet, or temperment.

Bottom line is I need some advice on how to handle the Leo. I'm NOT keeping it myself. It's a present for my sister who's been after a chameleon or a beardie. This seems to be a good compromise, as she specifically asked for a CL rescue so she could help something out who needed it. In her situation it's going to fill the role of DECORATIVE PET. Not so much handling buddy, so I don't think it matters if it's tamed or not.

I have an Awesome Beardie so i'm just wondering what I'm going to need in the way of lighting and other viv gears, food, and simple care sheet.
Thanks for your time! :D

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Leopard geckos are nocturnal so you will probably see him/her only in the evening or maybe a tail hanging out of a hide. Just like with beardies, it isn't recommended to use sand with these guys since they can get impacted. They eat the same feeders a juvy beardie would eat as well. They don't need UVB but need to be kept fairly warm since they are a desert animal. A good way to make sure the gecko sheds is to make a "shedding hide" with moist moss for the gecko to go into if it needs extra humidity. Geckos love to hide so lots of little caves, hidey-holes, branches, and some fake plants will make him feel safe and make the tank look nice. Leopard geckos can be quite friendly if handled but will make a hissing noise if they are upset.

The geckos that are more of a mix between a chameleon (display animal) and a handling reptile (beardies) are the New Caledonian geckos (cresties, leachies, and gargoyles). Leopards are one of the closest to a beardie personality in the lizard world and will wear tiny harnesses and hang out with their owners. I think leos are just adorable and I'd love to have one some day. :)

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I can walk around the house slowly with my gecko on my shoulder. She loves to look around and 'tour' the house. :lol: She also love to be talked to while we do our little walk.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies I'll take it under advisory and get the right stuff to go along with the rescue

Jess

Extreme Poster
Good luck! I can help out with any questions as well. My latest rescue was Stanley, a 15 year old leo with eye problems.

They are really sweet little guys. Stella will come right up to me and crawl on my hand. They are both a little spazzy though LOL, so I haven't walked around with them yet!

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Are gecko's different in regards to the whole "reptiles don't feel people emotions" thing?

Jess

Extreme Poster
Nah, not really. I think they care less about me than Dudley does LOL, but if you handle them enough they can be pretty friendly.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
RandyMarsh":1uqe2fg9 said:
Are gecko's different in regards to the whole "reptiles don't feel people emotions" thing?

Honestly, Bella doesn't care who holds her. I think she likes whoever is the warmest. :lol: My beardies all favor us differently, but even though my gecko is MINE, she doesn't care if me OR my husband holds her.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
just another question: What type of stress do Leo's have from rehoming and how long might it take to go away? Also i'm getting his old house too so at least i'll have that

Jess

Extreme Poster
Mine never had much relocation stress. They both devoured their food instantly as soon as they got home LOL. But they stay in their hides a lot at first, until they get a little more comfortable. Once they are settled in, you will see them out and about a little more often. Mine enjoy sleeping in weird positions around their vivs now... They get "sexy leg" too, just like beardies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom