Field Herping Find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Found this little guy in a neighbor's hot tub. If I am correct, he is a Pacific tree frog. I suppose he could be a chorus frog, though; I'm more of a snake-person than a frog-person.

DSC02047.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

Cute little guy. :love5: He ate a few crickets. I'd really like to keep him, but I think I'm going to release him in a nearby stream.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes he is cute. Did you release him yet? Cool, he ate a few crickets from you huh? I guess he got a free meal. :D
I think it is a Pacific Tree Frog.

Tracie

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Aww Maya...he is too cute! I looked up the Pacific Tree Frog and you are correct....that is what it looks like to me too!

It's probably a good thing you're going to let him go back to where he came from. At least you got to enjoy him for a while....that had to be a neat experience! :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So, I did a bit more reading, and I found out that Pacifics do best in 65-70* weather. Here it's been 100*+. They are native here, but they usually estivate during the warmer months; they burrow into damp, cool soil. He really couldn't survive in such hot temps without a burrow. I've kept him to release in the fall when it's cooler and he can dig a burrow without frying himself.

Quite unfortunately, Gren has passed. While I was away on vacation, he either escaped, in which case he will not have survived, or he has burrowed very very deep into the soil in his cage to die. :cry: He was a great little guy, I'm very sorry to see him leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom