Do I have to feed my hatchling beardie crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleDutchess

We are getting a hatchling tomorrow, and although I've done lots of research, I am staying up late and going over everything tonight to make sure we are properly prepared.
I have seen different opinions on this. Some people say that crickets are only recommended because they are the most accessible, others say they are needed.
I would MUCH rather avoid crickets if I can, and go with dubia roaches, and black soldier fly larvae, and other sources of protein.
Thoughts?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I personally will not feed crickets because of the higher risk of parasites. I fed Charlie dubia nymphs at hatchling age. They are very nutritional and they don't have the high risk of parasites. Nutritional value is twice to three times that of a cricket. So in short you can feed less bugs and get more results.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Black Soldier Fly Larvae are also VERY VERY nutritious- though with a hatchling’s appetite, you’ll go through them at an astounding rate, and they can be rather pricey. I used crickets with Figment because they were cheap and easy to get, but once I went to dubias I never looked back. Definitely the better feeder. I did rotate BSFL into my feeding; rotating feeders is a very good idea. It helps hit all the nutritional niches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom