Baby beardie refuses BSF larvae

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m trying to get my baby to eat these NutriGrubs/Phoenix worms.
He is NOT interested at all. He loves his crickets. Loves his dubias. Maybe these don’t move fast enough for him? I’ve tried hand feeding. Tried leaving them in a dish for about an hour.
Some have mentioned not feeding him crickets or dubias until he gets used to the grubbies. But I worry because he is such a baby he’ll get sick.

Any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If hes not having it that is fine --- dont force it on him if hes eating the crickets and the dubias that is good - is he eating salad too? I would use the crickets and the dubias as lures to the salad bowl - just disable the crickets by pulling a leg off or two and put them in the bowl w/ his salad - same w/ the dubias add them to the bowl -- just make sure your using a glass or ceramic bowl - you can also use medium super worms if hes around 3-4 months old as well - you can try some silk worms too for luring to the bowl - you can get them from here www.reptilianarts.com order food if your ordering like 50 they are small -- as you will need to feed them and clean containers out daily-- they are another great staple feeder
you can also get them from here www.coastilsilkworms.com --- both places are good
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
While it is not a problem if your baby doesn't like them as there are other options as previously mentioned, here is a couple things that helped me feeding them to picky eaters.

First they really don't move too much and it does seem to draw less interest, but when warmed up they do get more active and wiggly (when trying to feed and grow them I keep them over 90 degrss F to be active and eating and they never seem to stop moving so making sure they are warm can help).

And second i will put them in a dish and shale it just enough to slide them around in it in full view to start some interest in them. From my experience at least if I could get my beardies curious enough to watch them in the bowl for a minute they would then eat, and from then on understand it was good food that they wanted.

It may work or it might not but either way the diversity in feeders mentioned previously is good to have.

SpikesCarol

Original Poster
He does eat salad.
Today he went to his dish and gobbled up two larvae. Yay! I think I’m just too impatient. ;)

Draven88

Hatchling Member
SpikesCarol":9luoy31x said:
He does eat salad.
Today he went to his dish and gobbled up two larvae. Yay! I think I’m just too impatient. ;)

Sometimes they can just be super picky until they decide they decide they are ready to try something. I always offer new things for a good period of time before moving away from it and most of the time once they stop being picky and try it they continue eating it no problem. Though that's mostly the veggies that is harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom