Dangers of buying feeders in the Covid19 Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This is important information for us reptile keepers , because most of us get our live insects shipped to us in the mail or delivered to the home ( in boxes and mailer tubes ) by couriers and others visit pet shops and bring home our live insects in plastic tubs .

We have no control over the health status of the staff at the insect breeder's facility , postal workers and the couriers and the staff at their depots.

Some of us are vulnerable to covid19 and there is a risk even if we are self isolating ( under medical advice or simply because we fit the criteria of covid-19 vulnerabilities / co-morbilities ).
Don't simply think because it's been left at your front doorstep that it's safe to handle.

Simple measures on bringing the parcel inside like letting it sit for a day before opening it and handwashing ( or use of a high IP-alc or ET-alc handsanitizer ) to avoid being infected are worth considering.

life-of-covid19-strain-1-and-2-on-materials.png

As shown in Panel A, the titer of aerosolized viable virus is expressed in 50% tissue-culture infectious dose (TCID50) per liter of air. Viruses were applied to copper, cardboard, stainless steel, and plastic maintained at 21 to 23°C and 40% relative humidity over 7 days.
The titer of viable virus is expressed as TCID50 per milliliter of collection medium. All samples were quantified by end-point titration on Vero E6 cells.

Plots show the means and standard errors (? bars) across three replicates. As shown in Panel B, regression plots indicate the predicted decay of virus titer over time; the titer is plotted on a logarithmic scale.

Points show measured titers and are slightly jittered (i.e., their horizontal positions are modified by a small random amount to reduce overlap) along the time axis to avoid overplotting. Lines are random draws from the joint posterior distribution of the exponential decay rate (negative of the slope) and intercept (initial virus titer) to show the range of possible decay patterns for each experimental condition.
There were 150 lines per panel, including 50 lines from each plotted replicate. As shown in Panel C, violin plots indicate posterior distribution for the half-life of viable virus based on the estimated exponential decay rates of the virus titer.
The dots indicate the posterior median estimates, and the black lines indicate a 95% credible interval.
Experimental conditions are ordered according to the posterior median half-life of SARS-CoV-2. The dashed lines indicate the limit of detection.

Data observed
3.33×10^0.5 TCID50 per liter of air for aerosols
10^0.5 TCID50 per mL of medium for plastic, steel, and cardboard
10^1.5 TCID50 per mL of medium for copper ( and alloys like brass ).
https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
(n engl j med 382;16 nejm.org April 16, 2020)

Note 3.33 x 10^0.5 =
Untitled.png

Summary
The virus survives
life-on-surfaces.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
WinFam01":2cg76uvd said:
So are they referring to covid-19 as covid-2? ?
No .

Sars-CoV-2 is the precise scientific name , that you'll find used in scientific and medical journals ( there is also Sars-CoV-1 ) .

My reading is that Covid-19 ( the (Australian) CMO uses this abbreviation ) / covid19 is the shorthand that refers to the both strands where there is no need to discriminate between the two strands of the Sars-Cov (2019) viruses.

Coronavirus is simply the class of virus and includes lots of similar "LOOKING" viruses.

All other names such as used on TV , radio and Murdock press (ie Fox and Skye), by Trump & his cronnies , and in hate blogs , are politico-racist derogatory attacks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
We should exercise a degree of caution with everything but a shipment of insects is to be opened as soon as they arrive, you'd never leave insects inside the box for half a day let alone a day. Insects need to be put in their container and checked to see if you have any number of DOA's [ due to hot/cold temps.] to report + get reimbursement. No more danger in a box of insects on your doorstep as there is on your mail, newspaper or grocery items. There's even less danger in a shipment of insects probably than your groceries, you just unpack the insects and throw the shipping box away, then wash your hands. It's good to be cautious but not paranoid guys.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
So I probably shouldn't mention that we quarantine our mail and groceries (except for perishables, which we wash in hot water)? ?

Haven't quarantined any bug shipments though. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I might wipe down a milk jug + a few other things but not much else. I wash any fruit before it's eaten. No fuss about my mail, I just wash my hands after handling it. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I quarantine parcels ( especially those that arrive in postal bags ) , we have everything delivered these days , not leaving the home to do any shopping ( both vulnerable with co-morbidities ) .

Insects , mine arrive usually in calico bags inside a box . They sit for a few hours once brought inside and are transferred to my keepers .
If I've ordered BSFL , these arrive in plastic tubs inside the box ( and so haven't been handled for at least a day or two before I get the shipment , I treat the box as above and transfer the BSFL to a tub. The tub they came in goes onto my stash of spare tubs .
My favorate supplier of crickets in Sydney has a current supply issue for crickets so I'm sourcing from the SE Queensland supplier instead for now ( adds a day to travel time ).

The boxes are broken down then binned along with the calico bags ( I don't have a need for more of these ).

I handwash after handing the box .

If I lived in the USA or UK or another country with a much more severe pandemic going on than we have here in Australia ( at the moment ) , currently 603 current or “active” cases in all of Australia ( for 25 million ) , most of these in Sydney & Melbourne , I'd definitely be much more careful and might even resort to breeding my own crickets or using disposable surgical gloves to handle every delivery.

My posty wears surgical gloves ( I've seen them on his hands when he delivers smaller parcels to the door ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom