Emergency backup food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":t5o88vk5 said:
I just got my 1000 supers from rainbow in today. about my 5th time with them and they come great every time.

-Brandon
Sweet I looked and that's where I'll get them from they have very reasonable pricing. I just want something so I can at least try to get this roach colony started. It's at the right temps, they have food and dark, lol. And something that will last a while that's easy to take care of.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Ya know, if you have a 'wild' yard, meaning nothing but mowing, no chemicals etc. Chances are you have dandelions growing. I have a TON along with a TON of wild mint. Both of these are good Dragon greens as long as you know it is chemical free. Where I live, nobody does anything to yards. I'm in a MH park that mows. That's it. They used to use that killer stuff in some areas but new owners put a stop to that a year ago. Im saying this because if your neighbors have a nice weed free yard chances are they are using something that could hurt dragons. It could blow over to your yard.
So! If you do have this stuff growing, you have almost unlimited salads for your Beardies. Unless they are like my Petey who refuses it! ? I keep trying though, would be great to have free salads. ? Something to keep in mind, push come to shove, research safe wild greens. ?
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":35lwzinp said:
Ya know, if you have a 'wild' yard, meaning nothing but mowing, no chemicals etc. Chances are you have dandelions growing. I have a TON along with a TON of wild mint. Both of these are good Dragon greens as long as you know it is chemical free. Where I live, nobody does anything to yards. I'm in a MH park that mows. That's it. They used to use that killer stuff in some areas but new owners put a stop to that a year ago. Im saying this because if your neighbors have a nice weed free yard chances are they are using something that could hurt dragons. It could blow over to your yard.
So! If you do have this stuff growing, you have almost unlimited salads for your Beardies. Unless they are like my Petey who refuses it! ? I keep trying though, would be great to have free salads. ? Something to keep in mind, push come to shove, research safe wild greens. ?
-Dee
We don't spray or anything and never have in the 8 years we've been here, but we do live close enough to our neighbors and our yard is small enough that I'd be frightened of any overspray. And the neighbor lady likes to come spray next to her fence in our yard so the grass doesnt poke through (metal fence next to wood fence, can't weedeat between). And they are definitely some salad eaters. They usually finish theirs during the day.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":1xtfmwmq said:
DragonPete":1xtfmwmq said:
-Dee
We don't spray or anything and never have in the 8 years we've been here, but we do live close enough to our neighbors and our yard is small enough that I'd be frightened of any overspray. And the neighbor lady likes to come spray next to her fence in our yard so the grass doesnt poke through (metal fence next to wood fence, can't weedeat between). And they are definitely some salad eaters. They usually finish theirs during the day.
Yup that's exactly what I was referring to. My boy eats his salad just haven't been able to get him to eat more than a tiny piece of dandelion on it. None of the mint that I'm aware of. Would be nice to have something that I didn't have to come out of pocket for. ?
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":3vpuhkad said:
opaquelace":3vpuhkad said:
DragonPete":3vpuhkad said:
-Dee
Yup that's exactly what I was referring to. My boy eats his salad just haven't been able to get him to eat more than a tiny piece of dandelion on it. None of the mint that I'm aware of. Would be nice to have something that I didn't have to come out of pocket for. ?
-Dee
Yea these things eat a lot more than I expected lol. They seem to love micro and baby greens. Blueberries and strawberries CandyCane loves but not every day. Wilbur likes apples. My mom has a vegetable garden and doesn’t fertilize or spray or anything so I’ve gotten stuff from her as well. It would be so easy though to just keep some greens on the windowsill and chop as needed. The bugs are the big budget buster in this house though. They eat so much and poop so big I don’t understand how it is possible lol.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Lol yours are still young, those bugs will put a hole in your pocket! ?
Nice to have access to mom's garden. ?
I may grow some herbs again this summer, depends on how my back is acting. I grew everything last couple years! Veggies, herbs, flowers etc but that's not gonna happen this summer.
I'm hoping Petey will like rose petals since they are edible and I have like 12 bushes of 3 different kinds. Plus they bloom profusely well into Nov. I don't use chemicals on them either, at most, soapy water to kill aphids. ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom