Issues with feeding and general beardie care. Worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oz89

I got a bearded dragon about 3 weeks ago now. I bought it from a family who had 4 beardies but due to other commitments, they were finding it hard to care for so many. They also said money was a bit of an issue for them at that time so they weren't feeding the dragons maybe as much as was required. I could tell they were doing their best and the viv and various equipment was well thought out. I bought her with everything. UVB was replaced a month prior.

The beardie is roughly 8 months old. She's about 16 inches.

She really rarely eats. I put fresh vegetables in her viv each morning before work and then offer her live feeders when I get home from work. She will eat a few every few days. She goes to the toilet maybe once every few days but this looks healthy (from the poo research I've done).

I have bathed her every few days and kept her viv clean. She goes from being chill and wanting to engage a little to completely skittish and almost scared of contact. I am very slow with my hand movements and will normally lightly stroke under her chin before placing my hand under her from the front.

I noticed yesterday that she had stress marks. I had read about them before and noticed as soon I woke up. They were really distinguished and no question as to what they were. I got her out again and placed her in a bath and she went to the toilet. Within an hour or so the marks had pretty much seemed to vanish.

Her temps are correct. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking things since this is my first bearded dragon or if I need to change the routine or do more. She just seems to go through waves of either staying in her hide and seeming timid/scared to being out and basking and seeming quite interactive.

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
All normal considering what she has been through. She went from a home which probably received good care...which kind of decreased due to their situation...then she was moved to you a giant human who she doesnt know and doesnt have a relationship with probably with a different feeding schedule and environmental elements. Give her a few weeks to kind of adjust; poor critter has been through a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom