New Beardie Feeding Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, longtime lurker here. Finally decided to make an account because my new beardie Neil is stressing me out a bit.

He’s not my first beardie; I had one for about two years named Zelda. Much of her care was down to guesswork on my part, but for the most part she was always happy. Sadly, we had to give her away when we moved to an apartment that did not even allow lizards or fish. They make make such a mess, you know.

Anyways, now we’re living somewhere with more lenient landlords, and so for Christmas my wife and I decided to forgo getting eachother presents and pool that money into getting a new beardie and all that goes with it. This time I decided I wanted to really study their needs so I can give him the best living situation I can. I’m not certain of Neil’s age, but he is definitely a bit younger than Zelda was when we got her; she could never perch on my finger like that. I’m not sure if it is his age or just a different personality, but this guy does not behave at all like Zelda did, and some of his tendencies are a bit concerning to my untrained eye.

For one thing, his eating tendencies are incredibly erratic. I feed him twice a day: twelve crickets in the morning, and twelve in the late afternoon when I get home from work. On a “good” day he’ll eat eight to ten crickets right away in the morning, and then eat the remaining ones within the next half hour, but he almost never eats any crickets in afternoon. Other days, he’s so apathetic he’ll just sit there while crickets crawl on his head, and not eat all day. On more than one occasion, he’ll go two or three days barely eating. I’d like to vary his diet some, as I wonder if maybe that’s the problem, but my local pet stores don’t sell any other good staple feeders, or at least none that are small enough for a little guy like Neil. I do occasionally (meaning once every two or three days) offer him a small waxworm as a treat, which he usually eats, but not always. I also gave him a few small mealworms, but stopped that after researching it further. Still, he is pooping regularly, usually once per day, and his poop looks good.

We’ve had him for roughly three weeks, so I’m sure part of it is adjusting to his new home, and I’m making a point of not handling him too much while he settles in. I just worry about him. I’ve heard that baby beardies usually devour everything in sight, and that couldn’t be further from the truth with this guy.

Any advice?

102795-7514918190.jpg
102795-3203439741.jpg
102795-8617882072.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd be patient with him. Their appetites fluctuate and that's normal. He looks pretty healthy based on those photos. Definitely a little guy. Probably just a couple of months old. Offering food variety is almost always a good idea. I suggest trying black soldier fly larvae and see how he likes them. Symptonbsf sells them in packs of 500 for about $18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom