Juvenile Beardie Eating Less Than Usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebsadri

Hey guys,

My baby beardie Astro is around 4-5 months old, and I've noticed his appetite is not what it used to be. He would usually eat twice a day, once around 11am and again at around 4-5. Recently he has been refusing to eat in the morning. Usually I would take him outside to feed him crickets, but he refuses to eat outside now, I guess because he gets too distracted. I started feeding him in his tank, and it worked for a couple days, but he is back to ignoring the food. He will see the crickets and just go back to his hammock and bask. I've made the switch from small to medium crickets, and he only eats around 2 or 3 a day with maybe some meal worms or collard greens. He lives in a 40gal tank and lighting and heating is all proper at around 100-108 degrees. Could it be because it is fall approaching winter and he is just naturally eating less? His poops are solid and in shape, so I feel like there is nothing wrong with his health. Please help I'm worried because he doesn't seem eager to munch anymore.
101633-1519995621.jpg
101633-4593461053.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If everything else seems OK and he's alert, he may just be in a lull between growth spurts. He is still pretty small so he has a lot of growth to do. Keep track of his weight, and keep offering bugs a couple of times per day but if his weight is stable don't be too forceful if he refuses the bugs. Usually their appetite picks back up after a while as they go into another growth spurt. Which UVB light are you using for him?

sebsadri

Original Poster
CooperDragon":op6j43bz said:
If everything else seems OK and he's alert, he may just be in a lull between growth spurts. He is still pretty small so he has a lot of growth to do. Keep track of his weight, and keep offering bugs a couple of times per day but if his weight is stable don't be too forceful if he refuses the bugs. Usually their appetite picks back up after a while as they go into another growth spurt. Which UVB light are you using for him?

I use a reptisun 10.0 UVB light. His behavior seems to be normal, I wonder if he’s tired of crickets. I have some Dubia roaches coming in the mail today so we will see if he likes those. Is he too young to start brumating?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is a little young for brumation. Sometimes offering a new feeder helps. They can get tired of a single feeder after a while.

sebsadri

Original Poster
He ate around 5 dubia roaches today, along with some collard greens and green beans, he seems to be better :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom