Is There A Dish That Phoenix Worms Can NOT Escape??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some phoenix worms for my dragons, and spent a monstrous amount of time and frustration trying to wash the compost material off them, then the REAL fun began,trying to keep them in the dish while the dragons ate them. It was a genuine lesson in frustration for me and the dragons. Poor results getting them cleaned off (the worms) and pissed off dragons that ultimately just got their usual Dubia roaches. How does everybody else separate worms from bedding, and is there a good sized feeding dish with a serious lip on that they won't escape from?
Laura

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I pick each worm out with tweezers, then drop them into a plastic container. When in the temporary container, most bedding comes off, and I can pick them out of the second container and place them into a ceramic dish with slippery sides where Loki picks them out. This seems to work for me

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=239661&p=1837017#p1837017 . I made my own using some cloth tape and some mailer tube end caps I had hanging about (pays to hang onto things like that).

Since found a dish on Ebay that works well too - very smooth glazed ceramic surface. : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/White-Fragile-Ceramic-Reptile-Bowl-Food-Water-Dish-Escape-Proof-Feeder-Bowl/322785051709?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I use the ceramic one in Fluffy's 100L tub , too heavy for her to tip over or get under (she loves to get under her paper bedding and hide and even her heavy bits of bark) .

Regarding cleaning the maggots , I simply have some dry expanded peet coir that I have in small (old used) cricket tub, when I receive my orders of BSFL , I simply fish every mucky dirty worm out the "dirt" they arrive in and drop them as is in the dry stuff, they soon rub the dirt off themselves and are quite clean by next day, when I fish maybe 4 - 5 dozen out at a time to keep in home made dish that's in a small 1L Tupperware square tub ready to use.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The worms get much better at climbing when they are wet. Usually a dish with curved sides holds them but if they have been rinsed, it doesn't always work. I've found the best way to clean them is to put them in a mesh sieve and shake the dirt/substrate away from them. This separates most of the soil and keeps them dry which will make it easier to contain them.

Gouldian63

Original Poster
OK,awesome ideas! One guy on I had read somewhere, I think it was rating the seller's worms, said you don't have to clean them, that the compost won't hurt t the dragons. I didn't worry too much about Smaug eating some of it, but now he hasn't pooped in a couple days... I'm worried now. He eats what ever I give him, either greens or roaches.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A little bit of the substrate shouldn't cause a problem for them. I try to get as much off of them as I can but it's not always perfect and hasn't been an issue. If you're worried about him being backed up, try dripping water on his nose to lick up. If he is well hydrated it will help him digest and pass everything through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom