How much per month for bsfl and dubia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son (age 9) and I are new to Bearded Dragons and have already gleaned a lot of useful info from your forums. Thank you for this website!

I am a bit swamped in information about feeding this sweet animal. The specialty store told us she's 7 months old. She seems a bit skinnier than the pictures I'm seeing here- she does not have that round belly shape at all yet.

We do not want to deal with crickets unless it's truly necessary for her health. So here are my questions:

If we feed her the recommended staple veggies/fruits from the list at Beautiful Dragons' site, can I just give her BSFL and Dubia as her protein staples?

The cost of feeding her is considerably more than I had realized because of the Dubia we've been buying. In our part of Beaverton Oregon, they are hard to find and when you do find them, they're about $8 for twelve medium insects (less than 1"). She could easily eat that many every day and she's not even fully grown! (Though I do understand that at maturity she'll need a few less per day.) Maintaining a colony ourselves sounds complicated- the main store nearest us just had their entire Dubia colony die, and they're "experts".

I just ordered some BSFL from Flukers, which seems like it may work out to be cheaper. Is there a difference in the names for these? Are they also called Phoenix worms? Is it cost-effective to have them delivered once a month? Or do we need to raise these also (sigh)?

Thanks!

ryknoll3

For BSFL, I'd recommend ordering large or jumbo size worms from symptonbsf.com. They're big, healthy worms and their pricing is good.

As for a dubia colony, it's pretty simple to keep one. Basically as long as you don't let food rot in there, creating mold, and you keep it warm in the bin, they will reproduce quickly. There a lot of YouTube videos showing how to do it. You can feed them leftover veggies from your kitchen and from your dragon.

If you don't want to do a colony, at least order your dubias online. I get mine (to supplement while my colony was establishing itself) from dubideli.com. You can get 1000 3/4" dubias for about $77 shipped.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperMountainSchool":3pmiy5yc said:
My son (age 9) and I are new to Bearded Dragons and have already gleaned a lot of useful info from your forums. Thank you for this website!

I am a bit swamped in information about feeding this sweet animal. The specialty store told us she's 7 months old. She seems a bit skinnier than the pictures I'm seeing here- she does not have that round belly shape at all yet.

We do not want to deal with crickets unless it's truly necessary for her health. So here are my questions:

If we feed her the recommended staple veggies/fruits from the list at Beautiful Dragons' site, can I just give her BSFL and Dubia as her protein staples?

<<<< BSFL and roaches are fine as staple live feeder insects.
<<< I highly recommend silkworms as a staple feeder insect too .... she's big enough to cope with silkworms up to 2 inches long.
<<< at 7 months old -- 2 meals of live insects per day , as many as she wants per meal.
<<< offer salad fresh daily (but don't be too worried if your hatchling ignores the green stuff and the veggies , gut load the roaches with left overs - she'll then get them without knowing.

The cost of feeding her is considerably more than I had realized because of the Dubia we've been buying. In our part of Beaverton Oregon, they are hard to find and when you do find them, they're about $8 for twelve medium insects (less than 1"). She could easily eat that many every day and she's not even fully grown! (Though I do understand that at maturity she'll need a few less per day.) Maintaining a colony ourselves sounds complicated- the main store nearest us just had their entire Dubia colony die, and they're "experts".
<<< most of us never buy our feeders from petshops (too darned expensive and quality never real flash) , we buy our feeder insects online in bulk.
Trick is to buy the size that will about the right size for the hatchling for 2 -4 weeks and order maybe 1.5x more than you estimate you'll actually use.
In my most recent case when Peppa and Toothless were about 7 months old , I was buying 1/4 size crickets 800 at a time by mail order , by the time two - three weeks was done the crickets had grown to 1/3 - 1/2 size and were still OK to use..

I just ordered some BSFL from Flukers, which seems like it may work out to be cheaper. Is there a difference in the names for these? Are they also called Phoenix worms? Is it cost-effective to have them delivered once a month? Or do we need to raise these also (sigh)?

I buy my BSFL every two weeks ( I'm feeding 20 - 30 per day to my 30g adult water skink ). The pupae are likely to start becoming flies past 3 weeks in the tub.

Thanks!

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
My dragon is about 3 months old, and I am feeding Dubia and BSF. He eats like a pig. He probabaly eats about 30-40 1/4" dubia and 20 or so BSF larvae a day. I feed twice a day. I just ordered more feeders yesterday and I stepped up the size to 3/8" dubia and large BSF larvae, so quantity will hopefully go down.

I order 1000 dubia at a time from dubiaroaches.com or dubideli.com. I have found that I prefer the packaging from dubiaroaches.com. dubideli sends them in a burlap bagand it is difficult to transfer them to my holding tub. (we are alos feeding 2 leopard geckos from these. you may need less, but we go through 1000 in a couple of weeks)

For BSF I order from phoenixworms.com. I get 400 at a time. They are a little more expensive than other places i have tried, but i find they have the most consistent sizing and the media they ship in is much easier to get off the worms.

I have started a breeding colony of dubia and hope it will start yielding feeders soon!

All sum told is costs me $30 a week or so to feed him right now, but it won't be that way forever. From what i understand, insect cost drops significantly after they shift over to eating primarily greens.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Quick tip, I was given by my reptile vet , and also by the lovely lady beardie breeder I bought Peppa and Toothless from.

Feed the crickets (or roaches, or if in your case if you can get locusts) quality food and use chunks of carrot to provide them with a source of hydration.
>> no gels
>> no commercial insect foods

If you feed the crickets / roaches / locusts rubbish , you'll wind up with rubbishy feeder insects.

Don't forget to gut load the crickets / roaches / locusts with greens that are rich in calcium, this will boost the calcium/phosphorus ratio in the feeder insects and will help grow strong health hatchlings and make the insects more moist and nutritious.
I've discovered RepCal Adult Bearded Dragon Pellets are a great dry food for crickets, my crickets love them. I just toss a handful straight into the keeper tubs with my crickets and , any left over when all the crickets have been used go to the mealworms.

CooperMountainSchool

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input!
I think once we get the size/amounts nailed down, the internet bulk ordering will help keep costs down.

We'll definitely be gut-loading all the bugs. I saw the tutorial about using whole grain bread and baby food for BSFL and we've been only giving the roaches things like carrot for their hydration & feed.

I'm going to order from some of the little specialty places (phoenix, symton) after trying the fluker ones to see what we like best for a recurring order set-up. I hadn't even thought about evaluating the medium the feeders are shipped in. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks again for the advice. We will probably be posting more newbie questions and printing a binder of tutorials and great answers from you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom