1ish month old not eating enough! help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
I got a new beardie, pretty colors and healthy looking. First I was surprised they sold them this young, 1 month? too young? but anyways I've had him for 4 days now, first day and two I hand fed him a few times, now I cant anymore he doesnt look interested. Since day one at my home iv been fedding him dusted crickets, dropping around 10-15 small crickets in his 20gal, he wouldnt attack and lunge at them but by the hour or two I wouldnt see any, so I put more in, always removing them before bed time. but the past two days he doesnt seem to be eating much, not carying for the crickets, even mealworms on a salad, or anything. I was successful in feeding him 2 wax worms today (I bought wax in case he didnt eat since wax are high in nutrients), but other than that he just spends his time either under his basking light, or on his log, watching crickets pass by all day. I even put a small bowl with a few mealworms and 2 wax worms but he wasent shown interest.

Maybe he is still stress from the relocation?
Im scared since he is young they cant go long without protein
so just in case, how can I feed him good nutrients if he is not eating his crickets? I heard something about chicken puree and syringe or something?
I cant hand feed him at all, no matter how I try, or with any tasty treat.
I'v tried putting him in a small bin and dropped a few crickets but no luck he just stands still.

Setup:
20 gal
Zilla Tropical T8 Light Fixture mounted around 18 inch above reptile carpet
100w basking (I always keep it at 100-105F)
reptile carpet
Log to climb (medium sized)
Platform/hide under basking light
A cross sticks leaning on the side he sometimes climbs.

Any help would be appreciated.

There hasn't been a day yet where he hasn't eaten, but he's been eating a bit less and less

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya BeardieSmaug,

Any chance of us getting a picture of your dragon and setup? It all... sounds good to me, but clearly something's up.

Best of luck. It's a good sign that your draggo is still eating SOMETHING at least.

Best,
-Ellen

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB light isn't going to work at that distance. You'll need to upgrade the bulb to a ReptiSun 10.0 and even then with that fixture it will be effective at around 6-8''. Be sure to remove the clear plastic from in front of the bulb as well. That will intercept all of the UVB and render the bulb useless either way. If you wish to keep the UVB light further away, I would move to a T5 fixture and bulb that will be effective at 12-14''. This is a good option in the long run because the more powerful bulb is needed in larger adult sized tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom