Dubia's cause impaction in young beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixxella

We've had our bearded dragon for about a month now. Everything seems to be going fine after the initial settling in phase. Before we got our bearded dragon we purchased some tiny dubia roaches online and our little guy loves them. We made sure that the roaches we feed are smaller than the space between his eyes.

Now that we need a second batch I found a local pet store that sells dubias. When I asked to purchase them, the owner told me I shouldn't feed dubias to any bearded dragon under 8 months old. And that it was going to cause impaction. I know that advice can differ from place to place, but the consensus online seems to be that dubias are fine. Is he wrong? Are we in danger of causing our little guy impaction.

He seems to poop most every day, once a week he might go two days between poops, but never more than that. Some other things to note, he does like collard greens and blueberries. He baths every other day. Everything seems fine, but I want to double check.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Only way dubias could cause impaction is if their far too big and they have trouble eating it. However if their the right size and your beardie eats them perfectly fine its all good.

Maybe he got mixed up with superworms?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah as long as you offer an appropriate size that they can easily chew up, it shouldn't be a problem at all. They are a good staple feeder. Proper heat/lighting, clean environment, and adequate hydration (usually from well hydrated bugs) all come into play as well when it comes to impaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom