silkworms and feeder bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I am curious as to if feeding silkworms for a staple diet to bearded dragons is okay. I have been able to find them for a reasonable price on costalsilkworms.com and wanted to know if anyone has any idea as to how easy or tough it is to breed them. Also what the steps are for that. If they are difficult to breed then id like to have more options on bugs that are easier. I am currently buying crickets 50 at a time every 2 or 3 days because my beardie is only about 3 months old. I also throw in some horn worms every so often for variety.
I am perfectly fine with any other bug (no problem with being grossed out) and i just dont want them to smell too bad. The crickets themselves do not stink up my room but they definitely have a pungent smell when getting close to the tank

EDIT: I mean using silkworms for a staple as a bug. I understand that dragons need their veges and i am not excluding that. I was just told by many that dragons need a varied bug diet but just recently with the research i have done, it seems as if silkworms are good as a staple

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Silkworms are a good staple bug for bearded dragons. Unfortunately they are pretty smelly, especially when you feed them mulberry leaves (really boosts nutritional value). If avoiding odor is important to you, dubias are probably your best option, although dubias must be given as part of a varied diet since they don't contain linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid).

I'm not experienced in breeding silkworms, so I'm afraid I can't give you any pointers in the that direction. I have heard that it's a pretty simply process, though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HylianHealeys":1ozo9u37 said:
Silkworms are a good staple bug for bearded dragons. Unfortunately they are pretty smelly, especially when you feed them mulberry leaves (really boosts nutritional value). If avoiding odor is important to you, dubias are probably your best option, although dubias must be given as part of a varied diet since they don't contain linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid).

I'm not experienced in breeding silkworms, so I'm afraid I can't give you any pointers in the that direction. I have heard that it's a pretty simply process, though.

Silkworms have no real odor , the key to good silkworm husbandry is cleanliness, removing frass and moldy bits of leaf (or chow) each day .

Mulberry leaves have a quite pleasant smell especially when picked fresh and will keep quite nicely in an unsealed ziplock bag in the crisper for over a month.

If you want to breed your own silkworms (and become self sufficient) my thread will give lots of handy tips : viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gtauferner":1pl2vzzh said:
Hello! I am curious as to if feeding silkworms for a staple diet to bearded dragons is okay. I have been able to find them for a reasonable price on costalsilkworms.com and wanted to know if anyone has any idea as to how easy or tough it is to breed them. Also what the steps are for that. If they are difficult to breed then id like to have more options on bugs that are easier. I am currently buying crickets 50 at a time every 2 or 3 days because my beardie is only about 3 months old. I also throw in some horn worms every so often for variety.
I am perfectly fine with any other bug (no problem with being grossed out) and i just dont want them to smell too bad. The crickets themselves do not stink up my room but they definitely have a pungent smell when getting close to the tank

<<<< silkworms are a near perfect feeder ,
highly nutritious
low in fat
good moisture content
high in insect proteins
high in Ca
low in P
soft bodied
slow moving
don't bite back
the food they eat (mulberry leaves or chow) is very nutritious so it's a double hit
and they come in sizes from very small suitable for the youngest hatchlings (even just hatched) to large (2 - 3 are good meal for an adult bearded dragon).
Most lizards love them once they get a taste.

An excellent way to use silkworms for your hatchling is 2 meals of crickets + 1 meal of silkworms each day.
I was using 30mm long silkworms for Peppa & Toothless every day as one of their 3 daily insect meals at the same age , and they were each gobbling down up to 8 silkworms per day.

EDIT: I mean using silkworms for a staple as a bug. I understand that dragons need their veges and i am not excluding that. I was just told by many that dragons need a varied bug diet but just recently with the research i have done, it seems as if silkworms are good as a staple

If your 3 month old hatchling has a taste for the greens and veg , it's a bonus, if not , at his age its not a big deal so long as the insects are gutloaded with good quality greens and veg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom