So much info - not sure what's best

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyTom

Hello! My family and I recently adopted a 2 year old female from another family whose boys had "outgrown" her. Her name is Astrid. She appears healthy. She's super sweet and has warmed up quickly to us. I've read so much about feeding that I'm not sure what's good information, bad information, or exactly how much and how often she needs to be fed. What's the best schedule for a 2 year old? Her previous family was feeding her a salad daily along with 4 superworms. Is that the type of feeding schedule that I need to keep her on? Also, what type of calcium and multivitamin do I need to purchase for her and how often do I need to give it to her? I know y'all get tired of these questions but I've read so much conflicting information that I just don't know what's the best schedule to follow at this point. Thanks in advance!
full

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
What i do for my adult beardies, which are just a year younger than Astrid, but have the same basic feeding schedule she should have as they are both adults. I usually do salads everyday, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, occasionally ill give them fruit but not much maybe only twice a week. They get insects every other day or just three times a week. Usually crickets, sometimes dubia roaches (only reason i say sometimes is because my colony is quite low now), sometimes red runners/turkish roach (same reason as the dubias), calciworms, hornworms. I sometimes feed superworms but only once a week or every two weeks as they should only be fed as treets and 2-3 at most per feeding. They are probably one of the worst feeders out there.
Basically adults are going to be eating once a day for the insect portion and have salads like i stated above everyday.
As for the quantity each feeding i usually do 10 crickets and 10-15 calciworms, 4 hornworms (when i have them), 2-3 medium dubai roaches, and occasionally a grown adult red runner. Though you can let them have as many as they want in 10-15 minutes.

Do you think you can send a pic of the setup, lighting, temps etc?

CaseyTom

Original Poster
Thank you so much for responding! They were giving her a bagged salad mix each day but I read that was not ideal so I've switched to a mix of collards and mustard greens. I'll check into some of the other insect suggestions. Roaches totally freak me out - if there's a such thing as a roach phobia I definitely have it so pretty sure I'll have to go in a different direction with that! :lol: As far as supplements go -
does she need a multivitamin supplement and calcium daily? I'll get a picture of her set up in the morning. They said it's a 40 gallon tank but honestly it appears bigger than that to me. I have an unoccupied 100 gallon tank that I was thinking about moving her into in the near future. She has a heat lamp, an UVB lamp, a large rock to climb, a hut to hide in (that's where she's sleeping currently), newspaper on floor, and water/food bowls in her current set up.

Edited to add temps: 90 on heat side, 70 on cool side

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Is that the basking surface temp or just the general warm side? If its the basking temp you may want to get it up to 95 at least. And is the uvb a tube light? If it is a tube light then is it a t5 or t8, and if its not a tube light you can go on amazon and order a reptisun t5 HO 10.0 tube light and hood since the compact/coil bulbs that can screw into a regular dome lamp mess with their eyes and produce almost no uvb unless they get within 4 inches of it at least.

As for the supplements generally you want to dust calcium 5 times a week, usually on weekdays, with multivitmins twice a week, usually on weekends. I prefer repti-cal brands with no d3 added into either of them. I sometimes sprinkle calcium or multivitamins on the salads, but generally you'll just need to put it on the insects. Also is she using any night time heat source?

By the way you could just order some dubias every once in a while and put them in her tank for her to catch and only order a few so you wont have to care for them too long, you could also use tongs to grab them. Though if you dont like dubias i'd go with red runners as they look like crickets almost but dont hop which is a plus and they dont seem to eat as much as the crickets do. Only downside is they are pretty fast and lay egg sacks unlike the dubias who give live birth. Both of them cant fly or climb smooth surfaces so you dont have to worry about them getting out. And if they do they wont be able to breed or infest your house most likely.

CaseyTom

Original Poster
It's the warm side that's 90 not sure about the basking surface temp. I'm just going by the thermometer on that side of tank. They were leaving the heat lamp on all night so I have been too. It's a black light heat lamp. I'll have to check & see exactly what type of UVB light it is but it's not a tube light. Both the heat and UVB are the type that screw into the double dome fixtures that sit on top of tank cover.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I'd get a new thermometer then as the ones that stick on the side dont work well, go with a digital one with a probe.
And since the uvb is either coil/compact i suggest ordering a reptisun t5 ho 10.0 tube light then. If you wanna save money you could go to walmart and get a tube fixture to fit it and mount it inside the tank to save money using wire.
As for the black light heat lamp is it this one? https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptil...1673978&sr=1-5&keywords=black+light+heat+lamp

Or is it a CHE like this? https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Moti...&sr=1-8-spons&keywords=che+heat+emitter&psc=1

Also i personally like using CHE's only when its below 65 or when a bulb burns out and its all i have until i get a regular basking bright bulb. Regular basking bulbs just seem to brighten the tank up and work better in my opinion for basking.

CaseyTom

Original Poster
The black light heat lamp in the tank is the 2nd one you posted. I'll be sure to get another UVB lamp asap along with the calcium and multivitamin supplements.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I mean as long as the temps are good i dont see any harm in using the CHE as a basking bulb, but i wouldnt keep it on all night unless its below 65. And once the uvb tube arrives i'd dispose of the coil/compact bulb. Also make sure to replace the tube light every 6 months, if you could i'd get a uvb meter or whatever its called, but from what ive seen they are pretty pricey, but effective for knowing when to exactly to replace the bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom