Beardie will eat veggies but not insects

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaD91

Hello,

I've had my beardie for almost 2 years now. She used to eat a lot of crickets when she was younger and slowly ate them less and less. Switched over to mealworms and she ate them inconsistently.

But she always eats greens, veggies and fruits. Or the pellets you soak. And her appetite has always stayed the same. We've ruled out parasites and impaction. She consistently eats and poops so I'm not worried that shes but just wanted to know if that's ok?

Is anyone else's beardie like this? I just want to make sure she's gonna be ok with just eating veggies and greens but no insects.

OviDear

No, she will not be ok with eating only veggies. I'm going to try to not be annoying and ask some questions haha
What kind of veggies is she getting?
What kind of substrate are you using?
What are the temperatures in her tank?
Have you tried giving her crickets recently?
And also you should not be feeding her mealworms daily, they should be more like a treat.

ChelseaD91

Original Poster
I do a variety of things depending on what she's in the mood for that week.

I switch between mustard greens, collar greens and watercress for the base and depending on what I get for the week she usually has some bell peppers, carrots, squash and strawberries.

The tank is between 95-90 depending on where she's at in the warm end (she has a hammock). And it's 80-85 in the cooler end. The substrate I have right now is a carpet

I tried giving her crickets a few weeks ago but she wasn't having it. I wasn't giving mealworms every day bit maybe twice a week.

I'm just not sure what other insects to get for her/how to get them
My pet smart only really has the mealworms, crickets (small/large) or huge worms ( I wanna day hornworms?). But I know there's a lot of different things out there that she could be getting. Just not sure where to get them from/how often to feed

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
At that age eating tons of veggies is honestly good, however it is good to have some insects as well, you could try calciworms or dubia roaches and see what she thinks about those. What is your uvb brand, tube light, compact or coil? MVB? T8 or T5? Just wondering, but i doubt the uvb has anything to do with her eating veggies.

OviDear

If you haven't tried this already, get her some crickets and feed her them one at a time (you could try doing it in a shoebox or another tank). Definitely give her the crickets first before her veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom