Stop crickets escaping keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, not sure if this is the correct subforum, but-

I bought a new cricket keeper recently, My old one had a bunch of cracks in it, and I didn't want it to shatter and throw bugs everywhere.
It's a small Exo Terra cricket pen. Every day since set-up, I've found at least one bug crawling free across the carpet.

There are two doors/flaps for the tubes; I've taped one of them shut. I've also blocked the holes under the handle in the lid, with card. Yet, the crickets are somehow still escaping. They are 3rd moult size, too big to squeeze through the air vents. The only way I can think they're getting out, is if they're somehow managing to lift the inward-opening door from the inside.

Does anyone have tips on how to stop this? Could I maybe create some sort of latch, to keep them from opening the door? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Perhaps they are escaping when you have the keeper open to fetch some of them. You may be able to add something greasy along the edges to help keep them from climbing the sides or getting around any of the openings. I haven't used one of these specifically though so I can't offer any firsthand experience.

daughterofMyou

Original Poster
CooperDragon":ilxozlx1 said:
Perhaps they are escaping when you have the keeper open to fetch some of them. You may be able to add something greasy along the edges to help keep them from climbing the sides or getting around any of the openings. I haven't used one of these specifically though so I can't offer any firsthand experience.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'd be worried about the bran flakes sticking to the grease and making a huge mess, but I can try that. Otherwise, I've started to store the keeper in a storage container. Hopefully, that should catch any escapees!

As for them escaping that way ... I'm very careful. I only coax a few crickets at a time into the removable tubes, and transfer those into a tall lidded jug to dust with powder. Then I tip them one or two at a time into the viv. I would see if they sprang free :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I don't use those gimmicks .

I buy my crickets in bulk (700x to 1000x at a time and store them in old cricket tubs ( about 70 - 80 crickets per tub ). I use a 30L tub and one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bug-Buster-Vacuum-Spider-Catcher-with-FREE-9V-battery/252505608929?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 to quickly suck up the crickets and transfer them to small tubs.
When I'm ready to use them, I reverse the process , crickets in small tub tipped out --> 30l tub (too tall for them to jump out) , and I suck up some and place them in the small 50ml dusting tub.

daughterofMyou

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1w0d4nva said:

I buy my crickets in bulk (700x to 1000x at a time and store them in old cricket tubs ( about 70 - 80 crickets per tub ). I use a 30L tub and one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bug-Buster-Vacuum-Spider-Catcher-with-FREE-9V-battery/252505608929?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 to quickly suck up the crickets and transfer them to small tubs.

Hm, interesting. When it comes time to feed the lizard(s), do you just shake the crickets you want out of the small tubs? I imagine that the bran they're kept on would fall out with them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
daughterofMyou":2m34935h said:
kingofnobbys":2m34935h said:

Hm, interesting. When it comes time to feed the lizard(s), do you just shake the crickets you want out of the small tubs? I imagine that the bran they're kept on would fall out with them.

My crickets aren't on bran.

In the storage tubs that have some RepCal Adult Beardie Pellets & a chunk of fresh carrot & usually a left of buk or puk choi green.
The only stuff in the small dusting tub is calcium powder or a 50:50 mix of calcium & vitamin powder. I take the crickets out of the dusting tub a few at a time by hand to feed them to the lizard being fed.

daughterofMyou

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":emp078oy said:
My crickets aren't on bran.

In the storage tubs that have some RepCal Adult Beardie Pellets & a chunk of fresh carrot & usually a left of buk or puk choi green.
The only stuff in the small dusting tub is calcium powder or a 50:50 mix of calcium & vitamin powder. I take the crickets out of the dusting tub a few at a time by hand to feed them to the lizard being fed.

I see! Thank you kindly for the information :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom