Too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Roaches shed their exoskeletons as they grow, just like crickets do, and sometimes the shed exoskeletons can fake you out because they look like dead ones. I've even seen the sheds get a static charge on them and jump around as if they were alive. Sometimes the only way you can tell the difference is to feel them -- they're light and crispy with no substance inside.

The white ones are freshly molted, and they are easier for your beardie to eat and digest because their shells haven't hardened yet. That's true for both crickets and roaches -- they're light in color right after they've molted, and then they darken as their shells harden.

It sounds like your beardie has a very healthy appetite, and it's good that he eats his veggies too. :D

BTW, If I remember correctly, I had the 1 second problem the first time I tried to watch the video too, but I was able to replay it and it played the whole thing the second time around. The new link seems to work fine.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ahh that makes sense. Yeah i was worried that most of them died but then kept seeing these "white" roaches running all over, as i take them out from the egg carton gently shake them in a cup to lightly dust so the white roach was super white like a ghost and my beardie ate that guy first :lol:
He is getting older so im guessing that consuming more salads comes with age. But i have noticed that his poo's are more watery than usual.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, they're supposed to eat more greens as they get older, They don't need as much protein once they get done growing (although there are some beardies who don't ever seem to figure that out -- ours is one who won't bother with greens as long as he can convince his human slaves to give him bugs. :roll:). And if they're well hydrated (the greens contain lots of moisture), they can afford to dump some water with their poo to lubricate it and make it easier.

The first time my husband saw one of those white roaches he thought it was an albino. It does look strange until you get used to it. Your beardie may have already learned that the white ones are softer, so he likes them better and goes for them first -- maybe? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom