Chlorine in tap water - if you are worried about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you are still worried about the chlorination of the mains / tap water
> if water contains only chlorine and not chloramine, you can let it sit for 24 hours and the chlorine will dissipate into the environment (you'll see wee bubbles forming).
> if water contains only chlorine and not chloramine, you can drive the chlorine off by boiling the water for 15 minutes.
> use a charcoal filter designed to strip your tap water of chlorine and chloramine, block carbon filters are necessary for effective removal. ie http://puretec.com.au/granular-carbon-cartridges.html
> Chlorine and chloramine can be removed from your water by dissolving potassium metabisulfite into it. One campden tablet is enough to dechlorinate 20 gallons of tap water:
Campden tablets contain sodium metabisulfite, Na2S2O5, they weigh 0.44 g . The chemistry, 1 milligram of chlorine is neutralized by 1.5 mg of bisulfite. Typically municipal water has 3 or less ppm of Cl2 or NH2-Cl (chloramine).
So, if one liter of muni water has 3 mg of chlorine, it needs 4.5 mg of bisulfite for chlorine removal. 20 gallons is roughly 80 liters, so 3 X 80 = 240 mg chlorine X 1.5 mg bisulfite = 360 mg bisulfite to neutralize the chlorine in 20 gallons.

All these are cheaper options than buying distilled water , or bottled "Spring" water (which is nearly always a con).

Personally , I use tap water for all my lizards, by the very essence of my skinks' water dishes sitting in warm vivs , and the household spray bottle that I use for spot cleaning and to water the beardies which are refilled once every week or so , the chlorine is mostly removed on standing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah tap water is fine to use and isn't harmful on it's own. A simple pur filter with a charcoal filter will take care of the chlorine and off tastes. I use that for drinking water anyway since the local water is fairly high in chlorine. The other options you described are quite effective and I use them for my brewing water. All cheaper and easier than buying bottled water.

pionus2

We run our tap water through a charcoal filter, then let it stand for at least 24 hours just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom