Feeding Schedule for Babies/Juveniles/Adults | Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my name is Michael and I will be soon purchasing a Bearded Dragon. I'm still debating whether to get a Baby, Juvenile, or Adult. I was hoping that adults feeding schedule would decrease. I would be feeding my beardies either dubia roaches, crickets, or phoenix worms. Since I would not have a colony of dubia roaches I would have to buy bulk as I grew my colony. So can someone please tell me how often you feed juveniles and adults? Thanks. -Michael

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Michael, feeding juvies + adults is much different than babies, but even there it will depend on the size + age of the juvie. I raised a lot pf babies from the egg, so I can speak from much experience not just theory. Most babies can be fed live insects 3X a day, and will eat greens [collards finely shredded more than other greens because they are tougher to chew ] but also pieces of turnip, mustard + dandelion greens. Once they are in the 11-12" range you can cut back to 2 live feedings a day, pretty much all they can eat but you must pay attention that the bugs are not too large. The bugs shouold be no longer than the distance between their eyes.

Once the juvies are around 14-15" the rule of 2 feedings of insects a day can be bent once in a while , say if you'll be gone all day it won't be hard on them to only have one good feed in the a.m. and a bowl of veggies for the day to graze on. But they should still be eating 2 bug meals a day, but the insects can be pretty large and not as many as when the beardie was younger. Greens should be offered every day.

Once the dragon is close to a year old and in the 17-20" range you can start feeding one insect meal per day and lots of veggies. As they get near the 16 month mark, insects can be reduced to feedings every other day with even more focus on greens. At this size + age you can safely skip a day here + there if you were to be gone for a day [ happens to us all if we need to go on a day trip ] An adult can be fed bugs every 2-3 days along with lots of veggies.

All of this can vary depending on circumstances without any hardship on a healthy , growing dragon. Dragons are extrmely hardy and are built to go without food if there's unfavorable circumstances that pop up, not that we'd do it purposely but so you don't have to worry if you're gone all day for an emergency or just for an outing, a beardie will not be affected at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom