Can dubias make my beardie sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaleesii

My beardie hasnt seemed like himself recently. I cant really say any one thing thats wrong I just know him and he seems off. He usually has this light in his eye and he seems far off and distant sometimes now and is lazier than usual. I bought some dubia roaches at an expo about a month ago and that was about the time I started noticing him looking a bit different. I have stopped giving them to him. Is it possible that I got some bad dubias? I know he got parasites from crickets in the past (this was treated and was over 2 years ago) but I dont know what could be making him sick from the dubias. I will be taking him to the vet soon for a general check up and fecal but was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

dragonlux

Im just a noob but here are my 2 cents.
Did you cut the head off ? I think I remember you have to do that.

I hope hes fine allot of times I worryfor nothing.

Khaleesii

Original Poster
No I did not cut the heads off. Ive never heard of doing that. Also Ive fed him plenty of dubias in the past and its been fine. Do people really cut the heads off?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's unlikely that the roaches caused an issue, especially long term (if they eat too much at once it can cause an upset stomach or vomiting but that's a different issue). You don't cut their heads off, just feed them as they are. I let them scurry across the floor one at a time so my dragon can chase them down.

I'm not sure what the issue is in this case but it's likely a coincidence. Has he been losing weight over the last month? Sometimes they go through funks and phases which is normal but he shouldn't be losing much weight. A routine vet visit is usually a good idea, especially if you see behavior that seems off like this.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
dragonlux":33pxkxfm said:
Im just a noob but here are my 2 cents.
Did you cut the head off ? I think I remember you have to do that.

I hope hes fine allot of times I worryfor nothing.

That is just a myth. Once they are in a beardies mouth they can not bite them

Khaleesii

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. He doesnt seem to be losing weight. I guess its possible he might shed soon, though he is 6 years old and doesnt shed to often anymore. I thought maybe the crazy weather was effecting him too as he loves to go outside but its 90 degrees here one day and 60 the next. Maybe he cant decide if he should brumate or not so hes just being a bit lazy. I am such a paranoid mama...hopefully its nothing but yes a vet visit is a good idea.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a possibility too. My dragon acts less energetic when fronts move through with big changes in weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom