What and how much should I be feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louise0425

Hi, I'm a new beardie owner. Alvin is my first reptile and is around 12mths old. Had him around 2 weeks now and he is doing great. Currently has mixed veggies, around 4 crickets and a couple mealworms everyday. I feed him the live food in the morning. Does this sound normal? I'm looking into buying silkworm, dubia's and calci worms to give him a good variety. What size should he be having and how many per day? Should I split up the live feeds?

Another question I have is, his light is on for 12hrs per day (8am-8pm), I get him out for an hour a couple times a day but when I get him out in the evening (around 7pm) he seems tired, just tries to go to shade and sleep, should I be turning his light sooner?

Thanks in advance ?

kornel351

Hatchling Member
I would feed the veggies in the morning as beardies would more likely eat the veggies when they are already hungry and gives them less of a chance of being picky.Feed as much as they can eat in 10 minutes but let the dragon tell u when he is full. Ask for size I assume he would be the appropriate weight and size for his age so he should be able to eat those u have mention but follow the space between the eyes rule if he is a bit on the small scale . U could lower the light to 10 hours a day if that helps .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Louise0425":3kg7vnrd said:
Hi, I'm a new beardie owner. Alvin is my first reptile and is around 12mths old. Had him around 2 weeks now and he is doing great. Currently has mixed veggies, around 4 crickets and a couple mealworms everyday. <<< cut the mealworms they are not a good staple feeder insect , offer him more crickets (12 x 2/3 size) a few at a time once a day.
I feed him the live food in the morning. Does this sound normal? I'm looking into buying silkworm <<< are excellent , slow moving, soft , very nutritious and most beardies love them once they get a taste of them , he can hand medium (2inch) and full size (3in) silkworms , maybe 3 or 4 f/sice per day, dubia's <<<< roaches are bigger than crickets and about the same , a good staple feeder insect if gutloaded and dusted with calcium and calci worms <<<< an excellent slow moving soft staple feeder insect to give him a good variety. What size should he be having and how many per day? Should I split up the live feeds?

Peppa and Toothless were eating 12 medium (2/3 size) crickets each per day at the same age.
A rough equivalent is 1 superworm = 4 x 2/3 size crickets
1 medium silkworm = 4 x 2/3 size crickets
1 large silkworm = 6 - 8 x 2/3 size crickets

Another question I have is, his light is on for 12hrs per day (8am-8pm) <<< I run 16hr per day is better for them, I get him out for an hour a couple times a day but when I get him out in the evening (around 7pm) he seems tired, just tries to go to shade and sleep, should I be turning his light sooner? <<< no. leave the lights on .... he'll often come back out after a nap afterwards - all mine do so, usually in hope of a snuggle.

Thanks in advance ?

I think he's "going down early" because he is not getting enough fuel / high energy dense insect protein and fats , if he was eating like mine did at his age he'd be basking a lot longer and more lively , that said a nap in the afternoon wont hurt him .

I'd offer the salad after he's had his bugs.

I regular mix up the bugs, some crickets + some silkworms . Other times crickets + superworms (my mob are all over 16 months old now so can handle superworms).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Louise, can you post a full body shot of him and a few pics of his tank ? Here's how:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit the XIMG to attach pics

I run my lights about 14 hrs. a day, so like was mentioned it would be good to have a longer " daylight" period. He may need a little more food daily depending on his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom