Beardie smoothie for picky eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Hello again everyone. I'm back with my incredibly picky eater with (hopefully) a solution to this problem. After taking Milo to the vet months back and finding out he possibly had the onset of liver disease, I immediately changed his diet and overall care. He gets worms (silkworms, hornworms, supers, waxworm, butterworms) every other day, and I'm now making him green smoothies which I unfortunately have to force feed him. He was on baby food everyday but he would end up spitting 90% of it out since it was thick enough for him to push out with his tongue. I try to feed him at least 6-9ml of green smoothie a day, which as of now just consists of collard greens. I'm not sure of what the set amount is that I should be feeding him though, since 9ml really doesn't seem like a lot. I normally can't get him to eat more than that since he gets stressed and fidgety. Basically he will claw the heck out of my hand to escape and became very upset. Literally, just before I started writing this, he pooped in my hand when I try to grab him to feed him more smoothie. He has never done that before... guess he had a change of heart. :puke: :|

I hate that it's come to this, but even my vet said that force feeding him is the only way to ensure he remains healthy. He got especially bad these past couple of months because he stopped eating his pellets (which provided him with the nutrients he lacked from fruits/veggies) so he wouldn't even be able to poop without my help. He had no fiber in his diet what so ever so he'd go 2 weeks without pooping, just because he was so constipated. I have noticed an immediate change though this past week after these smoothies. He poops almost daily on his on again and it's back to normal, so I know I'm on the right track.

I would just like to hear any input from you guys regarding how much of these smoothies I should be feeding him, as well as other things I could add to maybe make him enjoy it more? I'm doing just straight up greens right now, but I was thinking of adding banana and blueberries to help make it taste a bit better. I just don't want to go crazy with the fruit though due to sugar, so I'm curious to see what you guys say. Also, to those who also do the smoothie method, how do you store your smoothies and what are their shelf lives? I've just stored mine in a tubaware container and so far, it's remaining nice and green. A bit of a funky smell, but I think that's just the collard greens. Honestly, anything helps since this whole smoothie thing is new to me. I just want to make sure my little guy stays healthy so I'll do anything for him! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I used to have to feed Dundee via syringe ever day. I offered a 10ml syringe but he didn't always want all of it so I'd say the amount you're offering is plenty.

The more variety you can offer, the better. I would rotate depending on what was fresh at the store each week but usually included 3-4 items in each smoothie. I used collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, yellow and green squash, sometimes pumpkin or spaghetti squash, green beans, and green bell pepper, just rotating them in and out. Sometimes I'd add a little bit of berry or banana but not much. Just a little for flavor because I didn't want to add much sugar.

I'd blend them with a bunch of water, then strain it through a mesh sieve. I'd put the big solids in a smoothie for myself. The rest went through a cheesecloth (fabric like a sheet or pillowcase would work too) and drained water until the rest was about the consistency of baby food. This made it much easier to load into a plastic syringe and have it come out smoothly. The excess water just went into my smoothie or I dumped it out. I'd do this every few days and keep a small jar of it in the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom