Won't eat anything at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon hasn't eaten anything massive in the last 4-5 days, normally i would worry about this but after research he hasn't shown any other affects, he is still alert to noises and movements, and strangely enough he is even more active now than he has ever been when i take him out. He always has a selection of greens to choose from inside his cage but just doesn't eat them. If he is hungry he does eat but hasn't for the last 4-5 days. Is this something i should worry about or is it just normal behavior for them to not eat all the time, as a baby he would eat non stop so its a bit of a shock to see him be satisfied with minimal food. Any help is appreciated

Sshunk

Oddly I'm having the same issue with Spike for the last week. No fruit/veggies at all. Will eat a couple live crickets if he doesn't have to work too hard. Other than more lazy than normal, he seems fine.

OperationReggie

Original Poster
Yeah it is worrying when they dont eat but he isnt showing signs of weight loss so im thinking its just he cant be bothered to eat as he isnt hungry but as a pet owner it is scary when your pet doesnt eat like normal

Sshunk

I think he is probably going thru brumation but it is his first time so just trying to figure this out. Unfortunately, I am going out of town and not sure what to tell my house/pet sitter.

OperationReggie

Original Poster
Little update for you, after i got him a new Viv i put a handful of kale and peppers in there,went out of the room came back 5-10 mins later and they were gone. Im not sure if Beardies wont eat if the viv is too small but a bigger viv did something to him to make him eat

Sshunk

It has been 8-9 weeks since my beardie ate anything significant. He literally lets crickets climb all over him. He sleeps all the time, either basking or under his log. I took him to the vet and the didn't see anything wrong. Gave me some omnivore powder to feed him to get his digestive track started. I've tried feeding it to him several times but he will only lick a few drops and then turns away. He has lost weight but not sure how much. He is right ar a year old, about 4 weeks ago, I move him to a bigger enclosure but it didn't help. He is currently in a 24x36 enclosure with 110uvb tube and basking light.
Thoughts?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
both of you need to double check the following

... TEMPERATURES ?
........daytime warm zone
........overnight
........basking spot
........ TOO COLD = SLEEPY DRAGON

... UVA AND UVB ADEQUATE ?
........is the uv rated AT LEAST 10%UVB ?
........COMPACT & WATTAGE ? , T8 ? , T5 ? OR MVB ?
........is it covered ? == BAD
........is it sitting ontop a mesh top ? == BAD
........how far from basking spot ? too far and the UVA and UVB WILL BE TOO DILUTE.
........ UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is = lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term , and neurological problems if this persists , not to mention MVB if UVB flux too long long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

... SUBSTRATE ?
........is it sand ? == BAD AND IF CALCISAND EXTREMELY BAD/LETHAL
........is it particulate ? == BAD

... SHARING TANK ? == BAD

... TOO SHORT A PHOTOPERIOD (lights are not kept on long enough each day , will make beardie think it is winter , recommend at least 14 HRS PER DAY)

... FEEDING SCHEDULE ( recommend at least 2 hrs lights/heat on before first live feed and after last feed of the day)

... What season is it (there where you live).... beardies younger than 1 yr should not be allowed to brumate

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OperationReggie":2n2n0ek6 said:
Little update for you, after i got him a new Viv i put a handful of kale and peppers in there,went out of the room came back 5-10 mins later and they were gone. Im not sure if Beardies wont eat if the viv is too small but a bigger viv did something to him to make him eat

some do not like to eat with an audience watching.

if he/she is under 12 months it's very important they get lots of high quality live insect protein 2x per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom