Do your beardies love baby food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMI510

I seen that it is okay to feed baby food as long as the veggies and fruits are on the okay food list for beardies but would like to know how much are you allowed to feed? So far I have tried a Sweet Potato Chicken Dinner which has Sweet Potatoes, Water, Apple, Chicken, Brown Rice Flour. I get a little less than a tsp. and mix with some calcium power or his multivitamin and he absolutely loves it!
I have even added some dandelion leaves in there too so I know he is getting his veggies. Is that okay to feed him? Are there things in the nutritional facts that I should look out for such as sugar and sodium %?

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've used baby food quite a bit, but I reserve it for dragons who are very ill and won't eat on their own. I stick to plain choices such as green beans, squash, or sometimes sweet potato. I've used plain turkey and plain chicken before too. I still prefer to offer a salad and live bugs to dragons who are able to eat on their own.

MIMI510

Original Poster
CooperDragon":117pm7o8 said:
I've used baby food quite a bit, but I reserve it for dragons who are very ill and won't eat on their own. I stick to plain choices such as green beans, squash, or sometimes sweet potato. I've used plain turkey and plain chicken before too. I still prefer to offer a salad and live bugs to dragons who are able to eat on their own.

He just finished shedding his body and wasn't eating as much as he normally does which i understand happens sometimes so I decided to offer some of the baby food I had hoping to stimulate his appetite. It worked but wanted to make sure that it was okay. I just offered him a little bit off of my finger.
I haven't really seen him eat his veggies except for maybe 1 time. I have tried Dandelion Greens, Squash, Zucchini, Kale, Collard Greens. and Carrots. Who knows he could be eating it when Im not looking though...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A little bit won't hurt. It's more of a don't let them get in the habit kind of thing. Want to keep their hunting instincts sharp to an extent. Don't worry too much about them ignoring veges in favor of bugs while they're younger. They'll naturally want more bugs and don't really need to transition to primarily veges until they're fully grown and their metabolism slows down.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've never given baby food to any of my lizards , even when sick.

It's an expensive way of getting pureed fruit into them IMO.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is expensive long term, I agree. When I had to feed Dundee for long term I wound up just making my own puree out of what I'd normally give him into a salad. I could make several days worth at a time for the cost of one jar of gerber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlameBeardie
Top Bottom