BSFJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
BSFJ seem kinda high in fat. Why does it seem like the general consensus is that these are the a great cricket replacement? I get they are high in calcium but so is my repcal with D3. Someone enlighten me. FYI I feed them to my dragon in addition to crickets and supers. My dragon loved them at first but seemed to get bored with them fast.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Cause that's what the places that sell them at saying ;)

Like many larval insects BSFL put on fat as they age, this is their energy for pupation and the non feeding adult stage. Diet also plays a role. It not inaccurate to say that a small or medium BSFL has a low fat content, though by the time it's ready to pupate it will have gone way up.

Crickets are pretty low fat as far as common feeder insects go. Even the beloved dubia roach is fattier than adverts would suggest.

Personally I don't suggest BSFL as a replacement for crickets or roaches, but as a part of a more varied diet. I feed roaches, BSFL and super worms regularly; silkworms and horn worms when available. BSFL have the benifit of a different nutrient profile from other bugs, including good innate calcium:phosphorus ratio (it's not well understood how well this is metabolized, but it's also not well understood how well dusted supplements are metabolized). They have the draw back if not having a hard shell (soft food diet is implicated in poor dental health).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom