Study of wild ponga v. diet

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Study of wild ponga v. diet

Postby dudeabides1389 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:27 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

This is just an abstract, but I was able to read the full article because I am still in college and have access to academic journals. The stomach contents of these wild dragons was predominantly made up of termites and only 16% of the dry matter found in the stomach was plant. Granted this was a study of only 14 wild dragons. interesting none the less. It would be interesting to see how their stomach contents change throughout the seasons if they change at all. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25773132/
dudeabides1389
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Study of wild ponga v. diet

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:22 pm

That's a pretty small sample size. I wonder how much territory they covered. The conclusion is one that agrees with other articles I've read in that they are opportunistic and will hunt whatever is available if they're hungry. I'm sure that changes with season and location. It leads me to advise providing as much variety as possible to captive dragons to try and ensure they get the nutrition they need. I wish more healthy feeder bugs were readily available to offer them.
CooperDragon

Re: Study of wild ponga v. diet

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:48 am

Ties in with the observations I made while living and working in north-western part of ponga V. range.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding