Feeding questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berryr386

I am new to the beardie world. I have had my beardie for approx 3 weeks. At first he wouldn't eat at all, and I gathered it was due to very low temps (85 in a 55 gal. Tank). I changed the heating but I'm having issues getting my temp where it should be. I can only get it to 102-105. I have a 150 watt bulb, a uvb/heat lamp and a 75 watt bulb on on end of the tank, and on the cool end of the tank it stays around 85 which is good. My little guy eats now, but according to everything I have read, he ( or it rather because it is small, don't know if it is male or female) is not eating enough. It lets me know when it wants fed. He will come off its basking site and stare at me, lol. I'll feed it anywhere from 5-10 crickets ( by hand, he won't eat them otherwise, just lets them hop around the cage) and will not touch veggies. He eats at least twice a day, sometimes three.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How do you take the temps? Temp gun, digital with a wire probe or round stick ons? Do you take the temps on the basking spot? How far away from the basking spot is it?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. Cute little guy :D . There are a couple of adjustments that will help. First you you have a uvb light? It just looks like you have a basking light and a black night light. You need a Reptisun T5 Tube light ASAP if you do not have one. They need uvb to grow and digest their food. Also you need to put the basking light pointed down and when you get the uvb those need to be together so when he basks he get uvb and heat so he can digest. Next you need to give him calcium on his feeders so he does not get mbd. Also i would get rid of the loose subtrate as that can cause impaction and clog his insides. I use ceramic tile. You can use paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner , tile or newspaper.

Berryr386

Original Poster
Yes, I have a uvb light. It's a T8 I do believe. I think the pic you are referring to is the one I took before I got Denathor. Unfortunately Petco recommended a few things that were actually harmful, such as the substrate and meal worms. As soon as I found out that they were harmful I got rid of them. Thankfully I only had Denathor in the tank for a few nights before I discovered that ground walnut shell is harmful. I am using a bath towel for now, will be getting tile soon. My lights are pointing down, it didn't take long at all for me to realize the temp wasn't going to get high enough if I didn't move them. My uvb lamp is a long bulb and is positioned right behind my basking light. I just learned I need to get a timer. As far as dusting goes, I have been dusting his feeders ( which are gut loaded) every feeding. Also, I just read something about vitamin supplements. I didn't know I was suppose to give him any. I haven't oven him any since I've had him, how bad will that affect him? Where can I get the supplements? I try to feed him 3 times a day, but sometimes he won't eat but twice. I have issues feeding him sometimes. I'll be feeding him, he will get 5 or 6 crickets down then run off like he's nervous. 10 or 20 minutes later he's roaming around his enclosure like he either wants out or is searching for food. I don't know if I am doing something wrong. By the way, I usually hand feed him. I am going to get him some Phoenix worms ( which were recommended to me) and try to get him to eat from a dish and see if that makes a difference. I've been trying to hold him about 10-15 minutes a day, but he always wants to run off. I guess he don't like me yet :cry:. I think he is trying to grow some. I seen him scratching his face on the rocks a few times and upon closer inspection I noticed small areas of lose skin. :D so maybe I am doing something right.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
It sounds like you're a good beardie parent. I think he'll be fine. When mine were little I would sunggle them in the evening with a blanket. Like a beardie burrito. I use bee pollen for vitamins. It's sweet tasting and safer use it every day. I ordered mine on bugdelite. Tracie a mod on here that is her site. Hopefully he'll get more use to you and settled in and eat you out of the house :D

Dej364

destiny1998":29qeuglj said:
It sounds like you're a good beardie parent. I think he'll be fine. When mine were little I would sunggle them in the evening with a blanket. Like a beardie burrito. I use bee pollen for vitamins. It's sweet tasting and safer use it every day. I ordered mine on bugdelite. Tracie a mod on here that is her site. Hopefully he'll get more use to you and settled in and eat you out of the house :D
I am wondering if bee pollen is a better vitamin then the powdered vitamin. Mushu does'nt seem to really li,e the way the vitamins taste. Will not touch bugs that are dusted or her Salad as much. I have Phoenix worms on the way for her. The bee pollen looks like it might be something she would like. Just dont want to give her something that isnt top rated for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom