Is my 5mo eating/hydrating enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyLC

I'm worried whether my beardie is eating and hydrating enough. Sometimes I look at him and think he's lost weight, and other times I think he looks the same... most of the time I think he's lost a bit, but it's only been a week, so it's difficult to tell.

He is currently 5 months old. He has fresh water available to him in a shallow dish (which he ignores except to occasionally step in it on accident, freeze, and then retreat), and I mist his tank at least twice a day. He hates baths, trying to crawl out of them quickly instead of soaking or drinking. He gets a fresh salad of mustard greens, collard greens, and sometimes fruit (diced nice and small), but he just won't eat it fresh. Some days he eats almost his entire salad while other days he barely touches it, but given his age, I'm just happy he eats it at all. He does seem to prefer eating it after it's dried out a bit and gotten crunchy... He won't drink water at all, whether I'm putting it on his nose over and over or whether he's in the bath.

For food, I feed him about 10-15 small calcium-dusted crickets in the morning along with his vitamin-dusted salad. In the evening, he gets about 10 calcium-dusted roaches around 1cm in length, more if he gobbles them up, but he usually still has a few left by the time he stops eating for the night. By evening he usually still has a cricket or two uneaten from breakfast - I think he gets bored of them, since he'll still eat roaches at night and ignore a cricket even if it's right in front of his face. This is why I'll only give him crickets during the day instead of at night, so that if he doesn't eat them they don't nibble him while he sleeps. When he goes to bed there are usually a few roaches left as well, although by dinner the next day they're gone unless there's one or two hiding in a hard-to-reach space. He never scrambles for his food like the beardies in the feeding videos I've stalked do.

Temp is around 80 on the cool side (wavers between 75 to 85) and 105-ish on the basking side (wavers between 100 and 110 - once reached almost 120, but I think I may have been scanning a reflecting part of the tank or my temp gun was hiccupping, as it never did that again). He gets handled daily and alternates between cuddling quietly against me or crawling around curiously. Some days he paces in his tank and wants to come out, while other days he just sleeps. He's had three bowel movements in the last week, and they all come out moist but not liquid with good-sized urates (I think).

I feel like he's not eating enough... Should I be worried yet? Should I start running to the store for baby food, or give him some more time to build an appetite? Or does this sound pretty reasonable for his age? Online guides I've seen typically talk more of duration of feeding time (as much as they'll eat in 10-15 minutes etc.) rather than number of insects, I assume because it depends on the age and size of the lizard and the size and type of insect, but I feel like he should be eating more than he is, and it's difficult to tell since he seems to prefer grazing rather than hungrily gobbling up a meal.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They all eat at different rates during different growth stages. It sounds like he's doing pretty well. If he's eating on his own I wouldn't bother with baby food. Just give him what he wants in a 10 minute window or so. If the bugs are eating fresh veges and are well hydrated then he's probably getting enough hydration from his food. It's a good idea to keep a log of his weight so you can identify potential health problems early on. Check his weight at least once or twice a week and note it down in grams. That way you can watch trends over time and ensure his weight is increasing or stable. A cheap digital kitchen scale will do the job nicely.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
Yes, my crickets and roaches both have feeder blocks in their respective enclosures, and I give them greens, potatoes for the crickets, and a slice of fruit (oranges, apples, or strawberries) every day or every other day, depending on how much they've eaten. IS that enough, or should I be misting them, too? I know leaving open water is bad because they'll drown... my crickets keep dying as it is, although the roaches are fine. I may just give up on crickets and stick to roaches, given that Wade doesn't especially like them that much and he doesn't chase them so there are always leftover crickets hopping about.

I'm glad it sounds like he's okay! He was especially disinterested in food the last two days - ate half of his salad, but only ate a few roaches and almost completely ignored his crickets. I'm hoping they were just off days. He was sluggish the last few days in general with very brief bouts of hyperactivity, mostly just getting up to nibble some salad, bask, or stare at me until I picked him up. :lol: And them climbing me for another nap. He doesn't seem sick or listless, just lazy. I don't own a scale (very deliberately avoied getting one, as it sets me down a bad path of obsessing over my own food intake), but if I keep worrying about Wade's diet, I may have to give in... =\

Thank you for all your advice, both in my threads and throughout the forum!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like the bugs are getting enough. No misting is needed. I used the water crystals for crickets and they worked well. I eventually switched to roaches and they are MUCH easier to care for. No going back to crickets for sure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In case it wasn't mentioned by Cooper, it's a good idea to offer water to your dragon with an eyedropper or spray bottle directly on his snout every couple of days to see if he'll drink that way [ All mine do ] That at least gives him a chance in case he is not properly hydrated. With the spray bottle you can just give a few quick gentle squirts that are direct on his snout, then wait a few seconds, then repeat. Many dragons will lower their heads as the water runs down their snout and lap it up. If any excess water accumulates on the tank floor afterwards just dab it up with a paper towel.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
@CooperDragon - As of today, a third of my crickets are dead, so... yup, I think I am giving up on crickets altogether. Wade still has two crickets wandering his tank from two days ago that he totally ignores even if they walk right in front of him. I've only had a couple of the smallest roaches die, and I'm pretty sure they only died because they got flipped onto their backs and couldn't flip back; all the rest of my roaches are hardy and active and molting. They just got moved to their new enclosure today so I can stop going to the pet shop twice a week.

@AHBD - I spend about ten minutes once or twice every day slowly doing the water-on-the-snout method (the breeder suggested it when I first got Wade if I was worried about deydration), and he completely ignores it... He'll lick the air sometimes just while he's climbing around on me or occasionally when wandering his tank, and I noticed that he'll lick if I rub the lower side of his head, near the fatty deposits, but when I try to seize the moment and give him water, he subsequently won't open his mouth again. I also mist the tank every morning and every evening when I get home, and I mist him as well. I also bathe him in warm water about every other day, which he is not a fan of, but the breeder said that even if he won't drink in the bath he'll still obtain moisture from it? The internet tells me they collect water through their vents?

On the downside, my poor dragon had diarrhea yesterday, so I spent about two hours panicking over him... on the other hand, he had more energy today, running around his tank more actively, so I think he's feeling much better. His appetite came and went, but he did eat four roaches this morning and about eight tonight, each around 1 - 1.5cm in length, and half a salad. I gave him another bath today to try and recupe some of the lost hydration from yesterday, and boy, he was literally hopping to get out. He doesn't puff up or darken his beard at all, though - he just tries to escape. Not sure if I should still be panicked about the diarrhea or if his behaviour his a good sign...?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I understand with the crickets. I hated trying to keep them going. The roaches are so easy. Don't panic about the diarrhea for now. If it's a once or twice thing it may just be upset stomach. If it continues for a while you may want to have a sample analyzed for parasites but just keep an eye on it for now.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
Well, on the plus side, he hasn't had diarrhea again. On the downside, he hasn't passed any excrement or urates at all since then, either, even with baths every other day. On the plus side (again!), he's eating a lot more - he's up to around 30 mixed size roaches a day, so I'm pretty thrilled about that. :D On the downside (again), he's not very interested in salad anymore, so I'm wondering if he gorged on greens too young and that made him have the diarrhea...?

How strict is the size thing about roaches being no larger than the space between their eyes? I've got a few roaches that have grown a tiny bit bigger than that - I've been trying to feed Wade the larger roaches first, but alas, a few of the big ones managed to elude me and grow. :lol: Is the occasional larger roach okay, or should I just consider those a wash and let them grow to eventual maturity or sell them off on Cragislist? I've decided against breeding a colony, given my dragon's age.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that his appetite is up. Don't worry too much about the greens at this point but continue to have them available. I wouldn't offer the full sized bugs until he's older. I'd just let them stay in the tank and if they're around when he's over a year or so (16+ inches) he may be able to handle them.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
Okay, will do! Thank you for all your advice! His appetite suddenly dropped yesterday, but he also has begun shedding and finally had a nice, big bowel movement today, so I'm hoping he's just feeling grumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom