1 week old beardie won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3at4wi5h

My baby bearded dragon is 1 week old but he won't eat... Why is that? He moves around a lot but will run away from crickets... They are baby crickets very small. Idk what to do is he ok? Got him yesterday. Aslo he loves sitting in my hand I'll post his head then rub his chin he will sit there happily... I put him in cage he basks on top of log, and is quite responsive, he will jump up if he here's a noise so that's good, means he is aware of the sounds around him. His eyes are open, and his head is propped up so he has the strength which is good. His basking area is around 90 to 95° I'm sure that's ok. And he has a paper towel substrate. Had a nice climbing branch. What could be his reason to not eat?

Juce23

Mine didn't eat for at least that long after I got him.. Then he ate like a pig..He probably just needs some time to adjust.. I wouldn't worry too much..

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How are you taking the temps? Is that the temp on the basking surface? Babies need it to be 105 to 110. 95 is ok for an adult.

D3at4wi5h

Original Poster
destiny1998":13x7v1l0 said:
Hi. How are you taking the temps? Is that the temp on the basking surface? Babies need it to be 105 to 110. 95 is ok for an adult.
Yes I have been checking temps.. His team is between 100 to 110 but sometimes I knock it down to 95 so he can hang around basking area when he plays around....

My friend gave him one of those worms not the meal ones a squishy green one that he gives to his beardie and he ate it I suppose he is scared of crickets and prefers the worms?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with bumping the basking area a bit to get it over 100 and then provide a gradient across the rest of the tank down to about 75-85 or so during the day. What kind of light are you using for UVB?

The green worm is likely a hornworm. They are a good source of hydration but not a great staple feeder. You may want to pick up an order of Phoenix Worms and give those a try as they are pretty well balanced. If you live in an area that allows it, you may want to pick up some small dubia roaches and see if he'll go after those as well. Provide a nice variety and see what he starts taking to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom