Pogona Barbata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Lately, I have been very curious about these guys! I was wondering if theyve ever been successfully bred as pets, like the pogona vitticeps? Theyre very beautiful- I know theyre quite aggressive and very temperamental but I think it would be neat to one day see one in person! For you Aussies, I am sure if you trek around you see them once in a while! Has anyone ever kept them as pets?

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
I think they're cute. In Australia they are sold as pets all the time, but I think they are pretty hard to get in the US because I've never heard of anyone here having one.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Unfortunately, they are elusive here in the US. There were some Pogona Barbata's brought into the US originally in the 1980's but were not bred successfully. They are not around now & from what I know, any stock that was produced by them is gone, as well.
They are bred & kept as pets in Australia, but, not nearly as much as the Pogona Vitticeps.
They are a little harder to breed & their husbandry is just a tad different.

Tracie

hannicharlophi

Original Poster
Oh ok. I think it would be really neat to one day breed them captively. I mean, I live as far north as you can practically get... we only see bears and cougars on a good day in the mountains, no bearded dragons or desert creatures. I find the pogona barbata very nice looking... love the dark color and its slimmer face. I did hear they have quite the attitude and are not as hospitable as the vitticeps, but have yet to find a website on this less well-known type of beardie!

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
G'day mates,

Barbatas make excellent pets, a bit more work involved in making them more docile to handling though. Their husbandry is pretty much the same as vicitteps just abit cooler and abit more humid. They are better looking IMO as they are much more pre-historic looking than vicitteps (much more spikes) and longer, the only downside is the lack of vibrant colours in them. I have seen them in pure white though which looks absolutely stunning. There's a new aussie bloke on the forum that breeds barbatas, (kyro) maybe you guys could PM him if you want to know more or Kirby may know a lot as well. I personally have'nt kept barbatas but have mates who have.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom