My beardie needs his nails clipped?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua9915

I just got my beardie yesterday, from anther owner. He's about 3 years old and has very long nails. I'm not sre if his nails have ever been cut before, and I'm a bit nervous about it. Any helpful hint? I know that you just clip the tip, but I'm nervous to hurt him. Would a regular nail file possibly work? Should i wait a bit longer? I would love to ear any advice. Thanks

aries62

i don't think you have to clip the nails. i think you should get a piece of drift wood or a hapitat hut with the bark. this should wear the nails right down. i just got a female with such long nails they were beggingng to fall off. i got her a habitat hut and the amount of her climbing has hhlpied in only a few days

MissT

BD.org Addict
aries62":3184c said:
i don't think you have to clip the nails. i think you should get a piece of drift wood or a hapitat hut with the bark. this should wear the nails right down. i just got a female with such long nails they were beggingng to fall off. i got her a habitat hut and the amount of her climbing has hhlpied in only a few days

I have tiles, drift wood and a habba hut and my female's nails still grow at an alarming rate - she gets a pedicure at least once per fortnight - that will depend upon the activity level of your beardie and also how long/strong the nails are.

aqua9915":3184c said:
Would a regular nail file possibly work? Should i wait a bit longer?
I wouldnt use a nail file - that would be potentially quite a long process and may cause a lot of stress to him!

I would give him a week or so to settle in. if hes very active his nails may wear down a little. Then, take a pair of nail clippers (I have a human set, specially for the beardies) and just snip the ends off - be careful of the quick. Some people also suggest covering their heads while doing it as it keeps them calm - I dont personally like this method however, I do tend to carry out the beardie pedicures just before bedtime when they are quite settled anyway!

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
I also just use a regular pair of Nail clippers. Judah is pretty good about sitting still for it. I agree with MissT Wait a week or so till he gets a little more settled, then you can just snip the end a little. They will let ya know if you are too close to the quick, but it is pretty easy to see the quick. I do it very slow and Judah will shake his foot if i'm too close, then I can back off a little bit and move the clippers down away from the quick. For the most part I dont have to cut them offten because he has one really course sandstone type of tile, and it wears the nail down pretty well.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I am wondering the same thing. I have heard that regular nail clippers work fine (even better than the ones you get at pet stores). I guess basking rocks and tile substrate and stuff also helps.

outsdr2

Gray-bearded Member
Hello I agree with the poster that said the nail trimming should occur naturally from scratching wood. also you should consider the fact that bearded dragons are very clumsy climbers and need all the help they can get. :D
Jack

baby_geek

Hatchling Member
I have alway clipped my beardie's nails. Her nails grow so fast that they still don't wear down fast enough. I use regular human nail clippers turned on their side. If you look from the side of the nail you will see an area when the nail suddenly become thinner. That is where the quick ends. Just stay a little away from that and it should be all good. I also clips her nails after a bath as they are a little softer then.

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
i just trimmed my beardies nails, and it definetley worked. i use a mini person clipper,he dealt with it just fine even though there was a tiny bit of blood in one nail

aqua9915

Original Poster
there shouldnt be blood, that means u cut the nail too short, and it could hurt ur beardie, b careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom