Belly Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepatt

I have a six week old Beardie. He is my first so I am still learning about these guys.
It seems like his belly changes colors. One day it looks all white (tan) and sometimes it looks like it has a pattern on it.

Is this possible? Or am I seeing things?

Thanks,
Paul

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, their bellies and chest can turn darker when they are trying to absorb more heat quicker. Their moods can also affect their color. And no, you aren't seeing things. :p

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
diamc":275c1 said:
Actually, their bellies and chest can turn darker when they are trying to absorb more heat quicker. Their moods can also affect their color. And no, you aren't seeing things. :p

Fascinating. I had no idea it had anything to do with heat absorption, i thought it was purely based on mood.

Learn something new everyday.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are totally fascinating creatures and we are "beardie slaves", I think those are things we already know. :mrgreen:

callmebeardy

Juvie Member
Also these are stress rings if I am not mistaken, When they are stressed it becomes dark, and when they are chill its normal color

pepatt

Original Poster
So, if it's related to mood, is he in a good mood or bad mood when he displays colors? :?
He seems content and happy when he does it, but I'm no expert on reptile mood! :D

peera

Sub-Adult Member
The "patterns" mean they're stressed. It might just mean they're colder than they'd like, or that he doesn't feel like being held, or that you're 5 minutes late on feeding him. It's not really anything to worry about with babies unless they're doing it constantly.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As mentioned, the darkened belly & chest off & on is really nothing to worry about with a baby as long as it isn't like that continuously. You will see a babies color change several times a day so don't be too concerned. :wink:

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Agreed, you only have to worry if the marks are there all the time and are accompanied by other behavioural changes in your dragon. "Stress marks" is really a misnomer, they're a normal part of the dragon's colouration under most circumstances.

It is very cool to watch them change though :)

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Ethelia":353a2 said:
Elora":353a2 said:
a nice creamy white belly means they are content :blob5:

oh how we crave the perfect white buddah belly :love10: :love10:

got a picture for you then!

l_75e8c9fa2ebd4dccbfc922f511627522.jpg

pepatt

Original Poster
I've noticed that Porter will have a nice, white belly, and then after he snarfs down a dozen crix his belly gets the rings. Is he stressing the bloated, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" feeling? :shock:

His belly is really quite elaborate and beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom