Despessed Beardie? or Depressed Caretaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JULIA

this is probably stupid but i swear my beardie is not happy. i dont know if i just feel bad or what. His life sucks he has to stay in this cage all the time with nothing to do. He never seems Happy. Even when we take him out... he fights... he doesnt want out. when we do get him out all he does is finds a hiding spot and goes to sleep... or just stares at us like we are crazy. we have had him coming on two yrs now and i just haven t bonded with him. it might just be me im not used to having an animal cooped up in a cage so i feel sorry for him or is he really not happy. I don tknow what else to do... help...

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Do you not take him out because of time restraints on you, or some other reason? As long as you have time, take him out, wrap him in a blanket and let him go to sleep on you. Or sit on the couch holding him and just watch tv. They usually tend to like that, and it seems to calm them down and relax them.

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
Sunny really likes his viv. He looks bored to me, but I am sure he is just perfectly happy watching everything we do. We have him in the living room, which is where we are most of the time. He will watch the dogs play and sometimes I swear he is looking at the tv. I talk to him ALL the time and always reach in for a pat or a scratch every time I walk by.

I take him out at least once a day. He will stay on me for about 10-15 minutes, but then want to go back to his viv. He does not sleep on me or stay long enough to watch a show on TV. He runs down the back of the couch over to his viv and just stares at it. I know he would much rather be in there.

So while he is out, I bathe him and hold him for a bit. That is Mommy time.

I don't necessarily believe he is staring at you because he thinks you are crazy. I think it is more that he is interested in what you are doing. Sunny seems very curious and likes to watch what is going on.

If you spend more time in a different room than where he is, maybe you should move him so he is where the most activity is.

JULIA

Original Poster
maybe that sounded wrong... i DO take him out alot he just fights untill iget him out. then when i sit him on me or any one else he sits for a sec then runs off and hides. : ( he is by the dinning table in the bay window so he can watch outside during the day. i dont know he just makes me sad cause i think his life sucks being in that cage all day. but i take him out and he does NOTHING!

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
I would not worry. As long as he is eating and his color is good. I really don't think lizards in the wild are all that active. The ones I see here in the desert, they just sit up on the rocks and bask in the sun.

Sunny really likes his viv more than being out. I feel bad sometimes, but when I do take him out, he wants to go back in.

As long as he has some rocks or things to climb, he is fine. Sunny is lazy and just chills out ALL day.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
well take him out when he is sleepy...chances are he will be too lazy to run around, just hold him and pet him, or use a blanket or something, but after he goes to sleep, pick him up and let him sleep on you. Quickest way i found to build a bond with the little guys.

Meesh

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I feel bad for mine too sometimes, but they like to bask- that's what they do. As long as he isn't stressed and is eating and shedding properly- he could just be lazy.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Maybe you act depressed around him and he senses that?

One thing you could try (if you have not already) is take him outside, or put him at the window, with it open or not. Turbo always runs around generally near his tank when I have him out. But if I put him in the window, he would probably sit there all day. Its obvious how much he enjoys it. I can't wait until it's warm enough out so I can take him outside for his first time to explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom