Adopting a new male bearded dragon

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Adopting a new male bearded dragon

Postby Munchykin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 pm

Hello!

I currently have one adult male bearded dragon in a 120 gallon enclosure. I love him very dearly and I have decided to adopt another bearded dragon, who is disabled and a juvenile. I was planning on putting him in a 30 gallon as he is currently in a 10 gallon for his convenience, he can’t move very well. What should I expect between two male bearded dragons in terms of having them in the same room together not ever seeing each other hopefully, and what can I expect to see from a disabled bearded dragon.
Will they bob heads and wave if they can’t see eachother?
Can they smell one another?
I just want them both to be as stress free as possible and I’m not sure what to expect. Please any advice helps

Thanks. :)
Munchykin
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Adopting a new male bearded dragon

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 am

Keeping them in the same room is fine as long as they CANT SEE EACH OTHER-- it will stress the both of them out terribly-- I have two males in the same room but their tanks sit side by side and are in tanks w/ solid bamboo sides they cant see each other at all as they face me in my computer room- they have seen each other ONCE and that was my fault as I was cleaning ones tank out and had him sitting across the others tank in a carrier I use for vet trips and the older one in his tank saw the other in the carrier and his beard went as black as I have ever seen it EVER --- so going on that keeping them in the same room just not able to see each other at all -- they of coarse cant be out at the same time either - I take mine out one at a time and out of the room the tanks are in - I dont think they can smell one another -- I have never noticed any different behavior from either since being in the same room-- and yes my older one head bobs but seems to only do it in the spring when its breeding season - the younger one has only arm waved once or twice as well but they both were not in view of one another -
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Re: Adopting a new male bearded dragon

Postby Munchykin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Keeping them in the same room is fine as long as they CANT SEE EACH OTHER-- it will stress the both of them out terribly-- I have two males in the same room but their tanks sit side by side and are in tanks w/ solid bamboo sides they cant see each other at all as they face me in my computer room- they have seen each other ONCE and that was my fault as I was cleaning ones tank out and had him sitting across the others tank in a carrier I use for vet trips and the older one in his tank saw the other in the carrier and his beard went as black as I have ever seen it EVER --- so going on that keeping them in the same room just not able to see each other at all -- they of coarse cant be out at the same time either - I take mine out one at a time and out of the room the tanks are in - I dont think they can smell one another -- I have never noticed any different behavior from either since being in the same room-- and yes my older one head bobs but seems to only do it in the spring when its breeding season - the younger one has only arm waved once or twice as well but they both were not in view of one another -

I appreciate the advice. I was super worried they may accidentally see eachother but I’ve taken precautions now to avoid that! Thanks again!
Munchykin
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion