Baby beardie help!!! Am I stressing for nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coledtran

[pictures of him and tank](https://imgur.com/gallery/ZXREyyw)

Hello all I just got my 75 day old(Oct 31 birthday) male bearded dragon from a reputable breeder off of morph market yesterday, so now he’s been with us for 2 days. He was shipped from North Carolina to Maryland where I live.

He has a 75 gallon tank with tile substrate. I’m using a 150 w basking bulb, a 100 w che and a 10.0 t5 reptisun uvb bulb that covers all of 4ft. I used an infrared temp gun to measure each spot of the tank, basking spot is 107, warm side is around 91, middle is 86 range and cold is 76 range. Humidity is 24% on hot side and 36 on cold aide( water dish).

I’ve misted him two times a day to keep him hydrated. He has eaten some of his salad from his bowl( I think) and 3 mealworms(I know they aren’t the best, but my bsfl didn’t come in until today and he was refusing crickets) from my tongs. I’ve left bsfl in a bowl as well as crickets in a container which he never touched. As well as brought both to his face and he didn’t eat. Twice he attempted to eat from the tongs but striked and wasn’t able to grab the food/ missed it.

Besides not eating, he has been active as he moves around from his cool side to the warm side across the bridge, he’s been basking and venting to regulate his temperature. He also jumped off the wood once, lol! He’s also been obsessed with his reflection and the glass(glass surfing), so I put up paper on 3 sides and that’s helped a bit.

I’ve had a Leo who sadly died after 7 years with me, but this is my first beardie. I know of relocation stress and how it’s barley been 2 days but I can’t stop worrying he isn’t going to make it as he won’t be getting the nutrients he needs. Two things I was thinking of trying were:
1. Putting him in a sterile tub with the food, so maybe he’ll hunt
2. Using reptaboost in the mean time until he eats

Any advice would be great and appreciated dearly. And if either of methods are worth trying right now or I should just wait a bit and let him acclimate.
Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Use your BSFL on top of the salads -- use them as lures to the salad bowl -- and yes hes going thru relocation stress so give him some time -- he needs time to acclimate to the tank and surroundings - as long as hes eating something that is good - your T 5 distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- it sounds like you got things really good for him ---- dont worry hes not going to starve to death if hes eating something -- its when they quit eating all together thats when its time to worry-- keep feeding him -- you can hand feed him the BSFL as well w/ out the tongs -- I did my little one when I got him but I was working on hand taming him --- you might want to get some dubia roaches they work really good in the food bowl you will need something like this for the BSFL and roaches
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
if you need anymore help w/ websites for insects/ worms let me know
Karrie

Coledtran

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1wkwk4z1 said:
Use your BSFL on top of the salads -- use them as lures to the salad bowl -- and yes hes going thru relocation stress so give him some time -- he needs time to acclimate to the tank and surroundings - as long as hes eating something that is good - your T 5 distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- it sounds like you got things really good for him ---- dont worry hes not going to starve to death if hes eating something -- its when they quit eating all together thats when its time to worry-- keep feeding him -- you can hand feed him the BSFL as well w/ out the tongs -- I did my little one when I got him but I was working on hand taming him --- you might want to get some dubia roaches they work really good in the food bowl you will need something like this for the BSFL and roaches
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
if you need anymore help w/ websites for insects/ worms let me know
Karrie

Thanks, and yes the t5 is around 12 inches from the hammock bridge, there was no way I could get it that close to the basking spot, but it covers the entire cage so I feel that should make up for that. I’ll let him acclimate for the next few days and get back to you, I like that bsfl salad idea! And I’m working on getting dubias. Do you think it’d be worth it to start a colony? And if so how long would it take for me to feed from it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It takes a while for the roaches to get going -- like 6 months I believe --- usually the first year they eat alot of them but by the time they get to be a year old they slow down -- you can also feed silk worms as well --- they are a great staple feeder too -- roaches last a long time - they dont die off like crickets nor as stinky and no chirping :lol:
Karrie

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Congratulations on you're new baby. I would give him a week or 2 to get use to his surroundings. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom