Aggressive four month old...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsatt0125

Hello all,
I'm sure that this has been posed time and again because I've read similar posts but I have had my bearded dragon for 2 months (he was born on September 2nd) and he is EXTREMELY aggressive. I have been doing a lot of the things that I've read about such as handling him at night for ten minutes when he's sleepy, introducing my hands into his viv with small worms, just resting my hand in there for periods so he is non-threatened and a host of other advice..including patience. I even switched his viv from a 40 gallon breeder that I entered from above to a viv that has sliding doors. When I go to approach him he lunges at me and bites me. It's literally n attack. I'm actually becoming afraid to handle him at all. I've raised a beardie and this is the exact opposite experience. I got another one because of how gentle my adult is. They are both males that never see each other at all and are housed in their own 48x18x18 vivs in different rooms. I have his viv in a place where he can see me for most of the day, I'm always gentle, I have the lighting right, temperatures are good, he eats his greens and his crickets and small superworms..I'm at a loss. My question is, does this behavior generally usually change into a non-aggressive dragon. I'm almost contemplating rehoming him, which I would hate to do but it's unpleasant being afraid of being bitten. And as you know, he is growing rapidly. I got him from a breeder online. Please respond if you have had an aggressive dragon that mellowed out. I am looking for hope at this point :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Age has a lot to do w / it and patience but so does lighting in the tank --- are you using a coil for a UVB? Are there any colored bulbs being used and the basking temps how are you taking them and what are they? Once this is ruled out then we can go from there--- I also had gotten Blaze from a breeder and he was really aggressive as well --- unlike my 3 year old --- Hiccup so Blaze was a surprise as well when he was so aggressive but he has come out of after working w/ him for months -- I ended up having to wear a glove at one point so I could handle him -- he is now almost 18 months- but tell me what the lighting in the tank is please
Karrie

dsatt0125

Original Poster
Thank you Kerrie..I do use a red light at night for heat and I use a t8 long tube uvb as well as a 10.0 reptisun 13 watt desert uvb because I read that the T8 isn't enough. He also has a basking bulb at one side of his tank. the temperature in that basking area is 106 degrees right now and on the top of his hide (where he hangs out most) it is 87 degrees. My house will get as low as 68 degrees at night so perhaps I should turn the red light off altogether? I read mixed reviews on that.

dsatt0125

Original Poster
Also Karrie..at how many months did Blaze turn the corner. I am ordering gloves as we speak. It is encouraging to hear that hanging in there may help...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the red light and the 13 watt UVB --- this has a lot to do w/ the aggressiveness -- the T 8 is good -- it needs to be in the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and directly over the basking decor w/ a distance of 6-8 inches --- both of the bulbs I have suggested to get rid of is more than likely the cause of all the aggressiveness --- what size tank ? and how are you getting the temps ? No stick ons they are inaccurate --- it took awhile but I was not using red bulbs or a coil UVB --- it was just him and being scared --- I hand fed him every morning w/ BSFL or small super worms before feeding him and those would lure him to his salad bowl plus I had a normal routine every morning it got to where he would be waiting for me on his log right in front of where I put his food bowl -- but we need to correct the lighting first --- that is a big issue
Karrie

dsatt0125

Original Poster
The tank is 48x18x18...It is a Reptizoo...should he just have the basking light and the T8...only those two in the long tank..or should I put another basking light on the other far side, it's a long cage. If I get rid of those two I will have the basking light on far left, T8 fixture to it's light but nothing on the right hand side of the tank...should I just leave that side as is? It's where is big sized hide is? Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the tank is a 70 gallon --- you only need two lights in the tank your UVB and your basking bulb- how are you getting the basking temps? NO stick ons -- you need a digital probe thermometer --- place where he sits for basking leave 10 minutes --- it should be 105-110 - as he gets older he wont want that high of a temp- so its good to offer a gradient heat like 95-110 - a piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand lay on or lay against is good -- something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece you can lay different ways for them --
Make sure your UVB is properly placed as suggested earlier -- you can use a regular household bulb like a 60 watt or so on the cool end of the tank for lighting -- I just have the two in my 120 gallon tank but my UVB is placed in the center of the tank in the front so it kinda gives off light on the cool side of the tank --- you want 3 temps in the tank --- basking side - middle of tank 90's or so and cool side 80's during the day --- for nite time you dont want lower than 65 -- or higher than 75 - if you need heat at nite get a CHE ceramic heat emitter --- if you need help please ask
Karrie

dsatt0125

Original Poster
Thank you...can you tell me how old your beardie, Blaze, was when he/she turned the corner and became less aggressive just so I can have a gage on when I should hope for less aggression. I have the Etekcity temperature reader that you point at the area and I do it inside of the tank, not through the mesh...no plastic on top...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok sometimes the IR gun is off -- certain materials will throw them off-- please invest in a digital probe thermometer- Petco or PetSmart $8-- it was around 6 months he started turning a corner- we got him at around 2-3 months and he was terrible- persistence and patience he finally started coming around- get your basking temps in order and make sure your UVB is properly placed- also the UVB should be upgraded to a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for the size of your tank but for now the T 8 will work - how old is the bulb?
Karrie

dsatt0125

Original Poster
Thanks again for this info..I will hang in there...ordered the gloves ... the T8 is 2 months old..I have both tanks date for bulb written down so that I change both of them every six months..Thank you for your reassurance..it inspires me to continue to be persistent.

Can you tell me what the daily routine is that you used to socialize/tame her?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What bulbs are you changing out? The UVB should be the only one - every 6 months-- the T 5 would be once a year- first thing in the morning hand feeding first- handling him for 5 minutes or so outside of tank - petting in the tank - it's good to work w/ them at nite when they are sleepy- I usually worked w/ blaze in the day tho- a couple times a day plus my husband and daughter also held him as well-- once you get his basking temps and UVB situated you should notice a difference in behavior- they are the MOST important thing in that tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom