Power Outage - 48+ Hours

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Power Outage - 48+ Hours

Postby ComicBookMama » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:44 am

Our power is out, and looks like it will remain out for at least 48 hours. I’m more concerned about UV than heat... it’s going to be about 80-90 degrees, not optimal but not freezing. If I get Figment out in full sunshine for a couple hours a day, will that fill his UV “tank” until power comes on?

And what should I do about feeding, since he doesn’t have a basking spot?

I’m trying to find a place we can go that has power, but my dear husband pitched a fit at the idea of going to a hotel for my dragon’s sake... so please advise what I can do to keep Figment in good shape, please.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Power Outage - 48+ Hours

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:00 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this time of year. He will be OK at room temps for a few days, especially if he gets some time outside. I would just offer food to him normally.
CooperDragon

Postby Ellentomologist » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Hiya,

I hope you don't mind but I did a little digging into your posting history to learn more about your situation before giving advice. Since you started posting about Figment in August of 2019, he's at least a year old. Because of that, there is no real danger to him not getting light (UV or Heat) or food for a couple days.

Is it less than ideal? Sure it is. But provided he is otherwise healthy (and since you're a long-time poster here who keeps other reptiles he probably is) he should be just fine.

Hope that helps,
-Ellen
About me: Lab Manager in CDB studying for graduate school. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians, but only one BD named Guacamole. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Sorry if I post the same info right after someone else does, I tend to open many tabs and not refresh.
Ellentomologist
Hatchling Poster

Postby ComicBookMama » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Thanks for the input, folks... I'll keep an eye on Figment; I don't like having him without light and UV for even a little while, but I'm glad that you both feel he'll be okay. I'll probably cut back his portion sizes a bit at mealtimes, just to be on the safe side. He'll definitely be soaking in the sun for as long as I can get him out there. Keeping my fingers crossed that the power comes back soon... I need to get my husband on board with getting a generator!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:52 pm

Totally, agree. Figment will be fine for a day or two without lights :)

A lot of times we think they are much more fragile than they actually are, because this site is full of people who come here mainly only when something goes bad. They are quite resilient actually :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby Drache613 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Hello,

I agree, he will be just fine. You can just make him as comfortable as you can & hopefully
the power will be back on soon for you both!

Tracie
Drache613

Postby ComicBookMama » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:09 am

Thanks, Brandon and Tracie - You made me feel even better! We don’t often lose power, and I get a little anxious. But you’re right; beardies are built to be hardy critters. As long as I can flee to a place with power and WiFi to post my questions here, I know I’ll be fine - and with you folks giving me advice, I know Figment will be, too. :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion