Rescued 2 Florida Red Belly Cooters (update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Gormagon":2005bjop said:
DragonPete":2005bjop said:
That looks great! ? So much better than pet store tank!
I feel for ya though, they are messy critters for sure! Lots of cleaning to be done on the regular. Get the best filtering system you can afford. I still had to put my 50gal squat in the tub every other week for a full scrub down. Much younger then. Lol! But I loved the 3 I had, each one with its own disposition and personality. Had them for 7 yrs. They were pretty amazing. I gave them to a girlfriend who had an 8 yo daughter that just adored them and would come visit every week. ? since I had to move out of state I knew they'd be cared for.
Enjoy those crazy critters! I sure did mine. ?
-Dee
Thank you and, yes, they are messy!!! I have one of the best filters ever made that I used on my larger aquarium years ago (285 gallons). I have a Diatom Filter that I am going to try on it and see how it works. And how often I will have to do it.
You could get a small tank to use just for feeding since they usually defecate soon afterwards. If that works will save you some cleaning. It's something I read/heard but never tried, was too busy back then.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Gormagon":1gmk1r7e said:
MrSpectrum":1gmk1r7e said:
That is beautiful, and I love the name choices. Once again I envy your skills.
I'll assume due to their age(s) you're positive about their sexes. Do you need to add accommodations for future egg-laying?
Thank you!!!

As for the egg laying part........ I sure hope not!!!
With an Archie and an Edith, how're you going to stop it? :?

285 gal Now that'd make a decent sized beardie enclosure. 8)
(Move over, you fish!)

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":2udgkpqi said:
Gormagon":2udgkpqi said:
MrSpectrum":2udgkpqi said:
That is beautiful, and I love the name choices. Once again I envy your skills.
I'll assume due to their age(s) you're positive about their sexes. Do you need to add accommodations for future egg-laying?
Thank you!!!

As for the egg laying part........ I sure hope not!!!
With an Archie and an Edith, how're you going to stop it? :?

285 gal Now that'd make a decent sized beardie enclosure. 8)
(Move over, you fish!)
No kidding! That's massive!
-Dee

SPandS

Juvie Member
That's awesome that you were able to build them a nice tank. Being only 8 inches they should both be males unless one or both were somehow stunted. Females grow around a foot, males are smaller. I have 2 that I bought when they were the size of a silver dollar almost 25 years ago. If possible I would raise the water level and build an above tank basking platform. If you look around I'm sure you can find some nice ones to get ideas from. They really will appreciate all the extra space to swim and it will help with the water quality.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I had Red-eared Sliders. Mine were about size of 50 cent piece when given to me. 7 yrs later they were 8-10 inches. Don't know what sexes they were but never had any egg laying. Don't know how big they get, but I've seen some 3 times that size, they do grow/live naturally in the SE. Have several in the pond behind my house. ?
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
SandP":1m1vjfy3 said:
That's awesome that you were able to build them a nice tank. Being only 8 inches they should both be males unless one or both were somehow stunted. Females grow around a foot, males are smaller. I have 2 that I bought when they were the size of a silver dollar almost 25 years ago. If possible I would raise the water level and build an above tank basking platform. If you look around I'm sure you can find some nice ones to get ideas from. They really will appreciate all the extra space to swim and it will help with the water quality.
They are only here until I can find them a good home together. They are very social creatures and have been together for 10 years.
My dad lives in southern Georgia and has a nice lake out back. Since they are natural to that area I was contemplating releasing them there, not that I relish the idea but I think they would like it better there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom