Beardie refuses to eat greens and supers all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkaikk

Hello,

My beardie is about 7-8 months old and has suddenly stopped eating his greens and superworms. He still gobbles up crickets, but I've been trying not to give him too many so that way he might eat some greens. When he was a baby up until about a month ago he would eat his greens everyday. Now he wont move down off of his hammock and just basks all day. The only time he will eat his veggies is when he comes down to poop. But that's only about once a week.
Extremely frustrated and don't know what to do, or what it could be. Is he just used to getting his protein now and doesn't want veggies?

I've tried all the suggestions. Putting the worms under the greens, tried the paper towel, tried adding fuits (Which he used to LOVE raspberries, now he wont touch them),tried bright veggies like carrots and peppers. Nothing works. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion that I haven't tried.

Here is a picture of him for reference. He isn't skinny and seems healthy otherwise:

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So hes pooping once a week -- what kind of UVB do you have? I can see it but is it in the tank or on top of screen?
Karrie

Arkaikk

Original Poster
Yes, pooping once a week. Poops look normal, they're big. The UVB is sitting on top of the screen. He sits under it basically all day.

Arkaikk

Original Poster
KarrieRee":184skoc0 said:
So hes pooping once a week -- what kind of UVB do you have? I can see it but is it in the tank or on top of screen?
Karrie

Yes, pooping once a week. Poops look normal, they're big. The UVB is sitting on top of the screen. He sits under it basically all day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What brand? We recommend this on the forum for the UVB -
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Hes struggling to get the rays thats why he sits there all day - the screen is blocking what rays its putting out --- please change it out w/ one of the ones listed above -- its crucial they have this light
Karrie

Arkaikk

Original Poster
KarrieRee":12pemt3d said:
What brand? We recommend this on the forum for the UVB -
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Hes struggling to get the rays thats why he sits there all day - the screen is blocking what rays its putting out --- please change it out w/ one of the ones listed above -- its crucial they have this light
Karrie

Ok, I ordered him a 10.0 UVB T5 HO bulb. So can I put the T5 on top of the mesh? Or should I cut a hole the length of the bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They say the T 5 is strong enough to go thru the mesh but I would put it in the tank approx 10-11 inches from him --- I guess its up to you -- see if some others on here respond and see what they recommend
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom