Eating right before going into brumation

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Eating right before going into brumation

Postby renoholdway » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:48 pm

O.k. so Gamera had a poop then went into a full sleep for a week. She woke up a couple days ago and ate some greens and worms. Yesterday she went back to sleep but didn't poop before she zonked out. Should I wake her up and keep her up until she does poop? Or just let her sleep? I know it's not good for them to brumate with food in their stomach. I can wake her up and stick her in the shower and she will poop. I just don't want to torment the girl. She had a clean fecal done just before she zonked out the first time. She is just shy of 2 and her temps are 98-100 on the basking area, 84 in the cool section and 72 in her hide. Tile floor and humidity 27-32 percent.
renoholdway
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Eating right before going into brumation

Postby MrSpectrum » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:23 pm

Gamera? Isn't that a turtle name? :lol:
🎵
"Gamera is really neat.
She is full of turtle meat.
We all love you, Gam-er-a!"

🎵

I'd let her sleep. BDs have been doing this for millions of years. I trust Nature that if she needs to, she'll wake up & do whatever she needs to do. :wink:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Re: Eating right before going into brumation

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:38 pm

I agree, a little food shouldn't hurt based on what I've experienced with my guy (similar behavior). She will poop eventually, it will just take longer than normal.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion