Taking Bearded Dragons Out to Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoutix

Hello, I am a little new to owning a bearded dragon and I was wondering if anyone on here has tried taking their beardies out to places in public. I know my pet stores will allow him, but I'm not sure about places like the library, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, Target, and those kinds of places. Would he be okay there as long as he is always with me? I really want to bring him with me to places to get him more socialized with people and to give him some freedom outside of his cage and our house. Any help, information, and/or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My advise (and practice here in Australia) is that this is not a good idea, it's way too risky and stressful to the dragon.

The dragon is not a cat or a dog and so wont enjoy this kind of socialization , and if it gets a fright it can easily get lost or hurt (by people or other peoples' pets). Best to leave the dragon home.

Scoutix

Original Poster
Hello, I have a bearded dragon that's just a baby. He's about 3 weeks old and he is very fast! I just wanted to know when I can take him out of his cage. I dont want him to run away or anything where I cant get him back. I have tried to hold him in my hands with him still being in the cage and he seems calm and he doesn't move much. I plan on doing this every day to get him used to me and make him more calm with people. I really want to take him out of his cage for a little bit every day since I dont want him caged up 24 hours a day. Does anyone on here have any tips or information about when I can do this? I have him in my room and it's pretty small so he cant go far if he does escape from where I put him but I dont want to scare him by trying to chase him around the room to put him back. Thanks!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Just a bit of friendly advice.
Being that small, I don't think it would be wise to do that "especially" if you are not holding him. Those little buggers can and, will hide in places you can't even see. It is best for him to remain in the Viv until he is MUCH calmer and, much bigger. What he needs is steady temps and UVB right now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, it gets easier when they are a bit older. The little guys are very curious and fast. They can hide in small spaces so if you do take him out, it's important to secure an area. Block off small spaces that he can get stuck in. Pick up small bits off the floor. Definitely supervise closely. After a while he will develop favorite spots and return to them so it's easier to find him. It's also helpful to set up a portable basking spot for him so he can return to it to warm up. As to the timing, it's a bit of a balancing act. I like to encourage enrichment for them but you don't want to put him in danger either.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Honestly, I have taken my dragons everywhere with me. When it is summer and warm and sunny,my past dragon would go lots of places with me and was used to it. It would also give her lots of natural light, which is great for them. When summer roles around, I plan on taking my new one out and about as well. (I also use people's curiosity as an opportunity to spread awareness and education about reptiles -- I'm a teacher, by profession)

Get a leash for your dragon until it is older/calmer and you can trust that it will not run, but will just chill on your shoulder.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I Take my dragons to many places, Not my baby dragon yet (too flighty still). But Loki and Daisy love going out and about, I mainly take them To places like Pet stores or Repticon, Home Depot (to choose their favorite tile), or parks. and They seem to be Rather Mellow with it.

But Every dragon is Different and has Different feelings about being out in public and Each store and public place has different policies regarding bringing your pets. Some dragons may not be as used to people, But my dragons are Held many times a day and they seem to enjoy the attention from others.

I would recommend getting a leash/harness for your Beardie to Keep them closer to you, I take my dragons to the park a lot and they love running around, Basking, and Getting the Attention from others lol.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":2qhp0p75 said:
Being that small, I don't think it would be wise to do that "especially" if you are not holding him. Those little buggers can and, will hide in places you can't even see. It is best for him to remain in the Viv until he is MUCH calmer and, much bigger. What he needs is steady temps and UVB right now.

Yep , make sure you are very careful and on the ball , a little hatchling will move like greased lightning and can easily even slip under a closed door.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Gormagon":3geyladf said:
Yup. I Agree. My baby dragon Rocket seriously Lives up to his name, he is always jumping, Climbing, and running around everywhere. That is why I haven't taken Rocket out in public yet.

Scoutix

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2yodvwqz said:
I agree, it gets easier when they are a bit older. The little guys are very curious and fast. They can hide in small spaces so if you do take him out, it's important to secure an area. Block off small spaces that he can get stuck in. Pick up small bits off the floor. Definitely supervise closely. After a while he will develop favorite spots and return to them so it's easier to find him. It's also helpful to set up a portable basking spot for him so he can return to it to warm up. As to the timing, it's a bit of a balancing act. I like to encourage enrichment for them but you don't want to put him in danger either.

Okay. When do you think I can let him out then? At what age? Or does it mainly just depend on how he is personally?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on how he is personally. There isn't a set age really. Try holding him and see what he does. Offer him a treat by hand and see how he reacts. Take him out and let him roam a small blocked off area and see what he does etc. Just build up the handling and exploring based on his reactions and your comfort level.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
I have a full grown beardie that I pretty much take everywhere in the summer - he is a bit of a social butterfly and kind of a ham. He poses for pictures with people I've taken him to the park, to the Tibet Fest, walking trails (on my shoulder of course) , the local post office and CVS - but not every beardie is as easy going as Kevin. I'll start to take my new one Norma out in the summer, by then she'll be big enough. Start off slow, get a reptile harness for security - get him accustomed to going out with you - go visit a pet store with him. But only take him if its warm enough out. and always carry some hand sanitizer with you. People should wash their hands or use sanitizer after touching any reptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vettech14
Top Bottom