Too skinny for Brumation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I picked up my new Beardy today (male) and came away with a female too, as the guy only wanted £10 more. The male is great but I have concerns about the female.

I am taking them both to vet for check up as I suspect they may have parasites and the female seems underweight for her age (18 months). I will weigh her tomorrow but I know enough about them to know that she is a skinny girl despite having a ravenous appetite (see why I suspect parasites). Also she has a runny eye so I also suspect she has a vitamin deficiency (A probably). I suspect they were not given supplements or a balanced diet. All will become clear in the next day or so after the vet visit.

Having said that I live quite high up and the air temp is lower than where they were. A know about maintaining the right temperatures but its going to take a few days to to a week to get them settled. Given the time of year I am worried that this change in environment might trigger brumation. At her weight Im afraid she will not survive it.

I had beardies in my teens into 20s and always avoided brumation but I fear I have moved these two at the wrong time.

Any tips please???

Thank you

Rob

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think if you can get the enclosure temps settled in a good range they will be OK. From what I've seen, temperature and weather don't seem to trigger brumation. It's something else that brings it on. I've seen them try to brumate when it's nearly 40C outside during the summer. It's a good sign she has a big appetite. Give her lots of good veges. An adult should probably be around 400-600g but they all vary a bit. The vet may be able to determine if the eye issue is caused by irritation (stuck bit of shed maybe) or by an infection. Having a fresh fecal sample tested for parasites is a good idea too but I usually wait a few weeks until they have time to settle since relocation stress can sometimes cause temporarily elevated levels of parasites and a weakened immune system.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She may have laid eggs this past season and not been able to regain weight fast enough. BTW, be sure to keep them in separate enclosures ! I would wait a couple weeks to let her settle in before a vet visit, if she is put on meds. it may ruin her good appetite. Give her a chance to eat + gain weight, then take her in. Can you post some pics of them. Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

robchapman

Original Poster
Thank you. I will ask about eggs but I thought she was two young so I doubt it. She no more that 18 months and he had her for 6 of those in separate enclosures. As do I now!!

I’m more worried about the eye but she is eating veg and I am giving her supplements on her insects (crickets, dubs and wax worms for fat)

I’ll try uploading some pics

Thanks

Rob

robchapman

Original Poster
OK, so he is 64g and 19" long. She is 46g and 17" long. Some im guessing they are under a year based on that. Although his hemipens are clearly visabable.

MALE (That substrate is now history - yuk!)

robchapman

Original Poster
full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Rob, yes she is very thin but you say her appetite is strong so she should gain weight now. She looks pretty alert as well so I think her eye will be O.K. :) I think you left off the zeros in the weight you listed, I'm sure they weigh more than 30 + 60 grams.

As for egg laying age, a female that is housed with a male could lay eggs at 8 months old, it's just that it's not recommended for the reason that she would still have growing to do just like a 15-16 year old girl could have a baby but it's not a good idea obviously.

If she was with a male before she turned a year old she could have laid eggs but it's not likely from what you say. She's just been underfed, so now she may do better in your care. Feed her plenty of greens as well as insects, 2 small meals a day will work very well if you have the time, otherwise a salad left in the tank and insects offered once a day but not late in the day.

robchapman

Original Poster
Hehe I weighed them on an uneven surface.

He is 387g and 19”
She is 266g and 17”

Thanks for your help

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom