Setup for Beardie with MBD. Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is named Sylvester. I got him from a family that would not keep him in good health. They asked me to take him and so I did. He's basically a rescue because he developed a moderate case of MBD while he was with them. I've had him for about 6-7 months now. From day one, I have been feeding him generous amounts of calcium on his food. He eats greens and insects pretty well. But he can't move without stepping on himself :( So it is really hard for him to catch his own food. I find him flipped over sometimes for who knows how long. He flips over and stays flipped because he can't move any other way than being bent. It's really sad to see him like this and it doesn't seem like he getting better. He has however been active lately. I got higher wattage basking lamps because I don't feel safer having him climb to places due to him falling over and either hurting himself or flipping himself. He has UVB and UVA lights. I handle him every day for about 30min. Any suggestions for me about how to care for Sylvester that I am doing wrong? I really wish he could get better..(he's about a year and a half)

101195-4509392283.jpg

101195-3294191393.jpg

101195-1669552378.jpg

DeniabeUser

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2jsrgv01 said:
Poor guy looks in rough shape. He may need to see a vet and get some liquid calcium supplementation to help build his bone strength. It's critical that he is getting high levels of UVB too. Which UVB bulb do you have for him? I recommend using a high quality T5 with a good reflector like this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

He has been to the vet multiple times and all that the vet does is make him ingest vitamins. The vet told me to keep a high calcium diet. I'll try to upgrade to that UVB thank you for the suggestion!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
High calcium diet is good. Try black soldier fly larvae, collard greens, turnip greens, most dark leafy greens are calcium rich as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom