Can beardies if different share a tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jverniero

Hi guys! So my tiny baby Hermes isn’t a tiny baby any more. He’s a happy healthy, silly 6 month old and established member of our family. However, I feel sort of guilty that he’s in his viv alone 5-10 hours a day and would love him to have a companion. My question is can I put a baby beardie in his viv with him (I fell in love with a little guy at my pet store yesterday.) Hermes’s viv is 55 gallons so they’d have plenty of personal space, but would I be running the risk of him hurting the baby, whether he means to or not? Thanks!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
He'd either be killed or injured by another beardie, or he could kill/injure the one you put in with him. May not happen right away, could take a few years but it will happen and when it does it won't be pretty. During that time they'll be constantly stressed out, they'll bully each other constantly, its just not a good idea.
Imagine being locked in a small room, and then one day another person (who you dont even know) gets thrown into your room. Both of you are very anti-social and this causes fights and constant stress, eventually, you may kill or injure each other after some time.
Beardies are strictly solitary animals and putting another beardie with them is sort of like what I described above.

With a baby beardie all it takes is one bite, one bite and its dead. If you value the life of your animal and any other animal you will either not get another beardie or get another tank for it like a responsible owner.

Also, 55 gallons isnt even enough for one beardie let alone two. Once fully grown a beardie requires a 48x24x24 enclosure ideally, smallest size would be 48x18x18. Not even a 8 foot long enclosure would be enough for two beardies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He is not a puppydog …. he's perfectly happy having an entire viv all to himself with daily periods of freerange fun time on the floor , visits from his pet human/s.

If you get another dragon , DON"T get another male ,get a female BUT unless you intend mating/breeding them, never let them be together.
It's OK to have another dragon in the house / room so long the two aren't forced to cohabit in the same tank or even be forced to see each other all day and night (very stressful).
(This applies even if it's large tank (unless you are dedicating an entire room (5m x 10m say ,and there are multiple basking spots, feeding stations and hides and the two can get away from each other)).

It can be very charming watching a male beardie trying to woo a female beardie by head bobbying and sporting a blackbeard, and her response which can be either giving him the cold shoulder, or doing armwaves and slow pressups and back at him.
But it's best they only see each other occasionally and are never allowed to physically meet.

A larger dragon is fully capable of killing a smaller dragon (and an adult is more likely to see a hatchling as snack)).

Jverniero

Original Poster
Thank you guys soooo much! That’s what I was afraid of! I still have Hermes’s old smaller viv that I could put the baby in, I’ll just have to get him a larger one later. Really appreciate your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom