I'm shocked... rescued beardie *Update 11/1*

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
better off , and less traumatic for both you and him to give him vet grade liquid calcium each day orally using a dosing syringe than to try calcium injections what will hurt and are not a very efficient way of getting calcium int a lizard and will be costly per dose

…. I have been very successful using VETAFARM CALCIVET to help injured and very sick lizards.... I found they liked the taste and think they regarded it as a yummy tasting treat …. licking the dregs off my fingertips and off the end of the syringe …. I've tasted it and iyt is very sweet tasting …. hence a hit with the lizards so very easy to get them to take a dose a couple of times a day.

dezismom

Juvie Member
How is Bugsie? I fell in love with him, and his story, and the photos of him snuggled happily against your arm. God will Bless you, for that! Bugsie would surely have died a sad death, without you. I rescued my first rescue a few weeks ago. She was a baby, skinny, and half dead- completely black! I could not see her pattern, she was so black all over. We did not plan on getting a second Beardie, but could not leave her to die. I was so unsure of her outcome, I did not even announce her on the forum for several weeks. I am happy to say Miss Penny is now fat, happy, and eats like a piggie! Growing so fast, too. We are still working on some trust issues, but she is coming along very well. She hasn't bared her teeth at me in days! and she accepts kisses and face rubs. I adore her....give love to Bugsie for us

Penny smiles
82765-6845856625.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
dezismom":3il4b13x said:
How is Bugsie? I fell in love with him, and his story, and the photos of him snuggled happily against your arm. God will Bless you, for that! Bugsie would surely have died a sad death, without you. I rescued my first rescue a few weeks ago. She was a baby, skinny, and half dead- completely black! I could not see her pattern, she was so black all over. We did not plan on getting a second Beardie, but could not leave her to die. I was so unsure of her outcome, I did not even announce her on the forum for several weeks. I am happy to say Miss Penny is now fat, happy, and eats like a piggie! Growing so fast, too. We are still working on some trust issues, but she is coming along very well. She hasn't bared her teeth at me in days! and she accepts kisses and face rubs. I adore her....give love to Bugsie for us

Penny smiles
82765-6845856625.jpg
I'm glad Penny is doing well for you, But is she on sand?? Taking her off sand will greatly improve your beardies health. This was a previous post of mine on the dangers of most particle substrates: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=243890&hilit=sand#p1857889

dezismom

Juvie Member
I totally agree with you about the sand; there is a problem with potential impaction...thank you for the warning...unfortunately, due to extreme disability and mobility issues, (a genetic disorder that is progressive and limits my movement quite alot) I have found it is my only choice, if I am to be able to keep and care for my sweet babies. :( I tried the other options, and could not maintain the level of cleanliness needed, without assistance. However, I have studied the issue like the absolute geek that I am. :) I have an excellent book on beardies, written by experts in the field--veterinarians, breeders, biologists, etc., who admit that they keep their beardies of over six inches in sand, with the adaptations I have carefully followed: so, I have done everything possible to reduce the probability of impaction. I do not feed them on sand.and hand feed almost any food, anyway. I Also have a sand free zone for them. They spend lots of time outside their vivs. Dezi, my older boy, stays with me on or near my bed all day, (with proper UV lights) and only uses his viv for sleeping purposes. I hope that with much attention and love, little Penny will grow up to be mostly free roaming, like DeziLu. I will have TWO fabulous beardies on my bed all day!! (or, if they do not get along well, they may take turns) This set up has worked well for Dezi, who is super happy and healthy, at three years. He is over two feet long, and almost two pounds! And he goes whereever I go. He rides on my wheelchair, and is a great conversation starter for people who would otherwise feel somewhat uncomfortable with my being disabled. I guess he could be considered a therapy pet! :):)

I know that sand is not the most ideal substrate, but I really need my dragons. they are the perfect pet for someone with my physical issues. I feel so blessed to have discovered them. So, we do the best we can do. You are so right to be concerned...I would not reccommend this for most cases, but I have unusual circumstances. These beardies have so greatly improved my life quality!! They challenge me every day to get up and take care of them, and always motivate me to serve their needs, instead of being too focused on my own...on super bad days, my husband steps in and helps me, but I always prefer to do all their care myself, no matter how big a challenge it is. Some days, it takes me several hours to go to the kitchen and prepare their food, clean the vivs, and hand feed them. But It is my fun physical therapy! it is a double blessing that through them, I have met and found friends on this site, like you, who share my love of beardies! How great is that?

So, that is my explaination, and apology of sorts. I am happy to have the opportunity to share this information with you and others. Perhaps someone else with a disability will also find such joy and benefits in caring for these wonderful Beardies. But you did not tell me; how is sweet little Bugsie doing? Does he still need calcium injections?

Dezi says, beardies are perfect companions
82765-6899244143.jpg

dezismom":3v4298de said:
I totally agree with you about the sand; there is a problem with potential impaction...thank you for the warning...unfortunately, due to extreme disability and mobility issues, (a genetic disorder that is progressive and limits my movement quite alot) I have found it is my only choice, if I am to be able to keep and care for my sweet babies. :( I tried the other options, and could not maintain the level of cleanliness needed, without assistance. However, I have studied the issue like the absolute geek that I am. :) I have an excellent book on beardies, written by experts in the field--veterinarians, breeders, biologists, etc., who admit that they keep their beardies of over six inches in sand, with the adaptations I have carefully followed: so, I have done everything possible to reduce the probability of impaction. I do not feed them on sand.and hand feed almost any food, anyway. I Also have a sand free zone for them. They spend lots of time outside their vivs. Dezi, my older boy, stays with me on or near my bed all day, (with proper UV lights) and only uses his viv for sleeping purposes. I hope that with much attention and love, little Penny will grow up to be mostly free roaming, like DeziLu. I will have TWO fabulous beardies on my bed all day!! (or, if they do not get along well, they may take turns) This set up has worked well for Dezi, who is super happy and healthy, at three years. He is over two feet long, and almost two pounds! And he goes whereever I go. He rides on my wheelchair, and is a great conversation starter for people who would otherwise feel somewhat uncomfortable with my being disabled. I guess he could be considered a therapy pet! :):)

I know that sand is not the most ideal substrate, but I really need my dragons. they are the perfect pet for someone with my physical issues. I feel so blessed to have discovered them. So, we do the best we can do. You are so right to be concerned...I would not reccommend this for most cases, but I have unusual circumstances. These beardies have so greatly improved my life quality!! They challenge me every day to get up and take care of them, and always motivate me to serve their needs, instead of being too focused on my own...on super bad days, my husband steps in and helps me, but I always prefer to do all their care myself, no matter how big a challenge it is. Some days, it takes me several hours to go to the kitchen and prepare their food, clean the vivs, and hand feed them. But It is my fun physical therapy! it is a double blessing that through them, I have met and found friends on this site, like you, who share my love of beardies! How great is that?

So, that is my explaination, and apology of sorts. I am happy to have the opportunity to share this information with you and others. Perhaps someone else with a disability will also find such joy and benefits in caring for these wonderful Beardies. But you did not tell me; how is sweet little Bugsie doing? Does he still need calcium injections?

Dezi says, beardies are perfect companions
82765-6899244143.jpg

Most eloquently explained. Some people jump to judge without having all the information. It makes it a bit scary for people to ask questions.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you so much for the positive response! I never know how much to share; how much is too much?

When I was teaching sixth grade, I made it a clear rule in my classroom that there are no silly questions, only silly answers! I encouraged my children to always ask anything about any topic. How else would they learn? I tried to answer all questions with respect and kindness, and considered their opinions with respect as well. Sometimes, we would go off on an entirely different topic, but they learned something that day, even if it wasn't in the study plan...it could be a bit awkward, because that age can come up with some surprising questions, ha, ha! I tried to keep a good sense of humor about that. The topic of dinosaur farting was one of the classics. :):) The next day, I brought some amber jewelry to school. It had air bubbles trapped inside of it, so we could see air from the prehistoric age, which could have had a dinosaur fart inside. This was very popular! I did have to intervene, when plans were being discussed to drill a hole in the amber, so they could smell the air! Aren't kids great? I loved teaching that age. Such amazing imagination and creativity.

Becoming disabled has given me the opportunity to educate others, for which I am grateful. But I do not wish to be preachy or make it into a mission. I try to not be defined by my physical challenges; they are only a part of who I am! However, it is impossible to go about in a wheelchair, without notice. I welcome questions, and I understand that even the most awkward questions (and suggestions) almost always come from a place of genuine concern.

One day at a fair, the vendor began discussing my disability with very uncomfortable familiarity. She even commented on the size of my legs! (not too skinny, it would seem!) I was a bit put off, but remained calm and kind. As we spoke, I found out that she had recently lost her dear husband, who was also in a wheelchair for his last years. I was so glad I had been kind, and not taken offense!! We can never know what burdens are in the heart of others.

I think we could learn alot, from our dragons. They live in the moment. They do not judge, or fear being judged. No grudges are held. They love good food, warm days, and long snuggles, and not necessarily in that order. They make round bellies, chin fat, bumpy blotchy skin and big feet look beautiful! How lucky are we, to have the opportunity to discover these wonderful creatures?!

DeziLu knows he is wonderful...
82765-4234322105.jpg

Penny Lane knows it, too!
82765-4489990487.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Well In Those Conditions and Precautions you are taking I Guess It Would be Ok, But It still is a big risk you're taking. and I Have to say Your beardies are Quite photogenic. :)

Pastella, How Has Bugsy been lately? :)

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thank you! And I agree; they are very photogenic. I may be a bit biased....and I could not agree more with you, about the risk of sand...I would never ever encourage the use of sand as a substrate. I just cannot walk, and that makes cleaning other substrates too difficult. We do our best with whatever circumstances we are given. I do not know what my life would be like, without my dragons. They are such perfect companions for me, as I spend each day confined to my parlor/bedroom. I have an entire world there, with a little "garden" of cool houseplants, and my beardies. I do not get out much due to the effort and pain of moving me around, with so many bone fractures.

One thing I do have is time. I spend at least an hour daily, hand feeding my babies each morsel, removing any food from the viv that is near the sand, and brushing the sand off all other surfaces. They take turns being out with me on my bed, or Dezi on his window perch, specially designed for his UVB and heating needs. So far, they have had no health problems. Dezi has been with me nearly four years--No one can deny that he is a healthy, lovely speciman of big beautiful orange snuggles! :):) -Miss Penny is as regular as clockwork. No excess calcium in her poo, and I check...;) My husband says I am poo obsessed. What goes in, must come out and be accounted for, ha, ha! I wonder what the dragons think of their mummys poo obsession?

I wonder how Bugsy is doing, too...would love an update with some photos, hint, hint....

These are such sweet pictures! It makes me appreciate these little dragons even more.
Our Diamond is on antibiotics for infection, and so I've been using towels in his cage. He definitely likes snuggling up in them and I was surprised too!

Pastella":2bpy9icm said:
Thank you everyone! :D

Turns out Bugsy is a total cuddler and loves soft blankets. I'm amazed at how a desert lizard can love soft things so much :lol:

:love5:
99932-9675204400.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
dezismom":116te070 said:
One thing I do have is time. I spend at least an hour daily, hand feeding my babies each morsel I Do that as well., removing any food from the viv that is near the sand, Quick Question, What Type of sand or loose substrate is it? and brushing the sand off all other surfaces. They take turns being out with me on my bed, or Dezi on his window perch, specially designed for his UVB and heating needs. So far, they have had no health problems. Dezi has been with me nearly four years--No one can deny that he is a healthy, lovely specimen of big beautiful orange snuggles! Good to hear that him and Penny are healthy. :) -Miss Penny is as regular as clockwork. That's good. No excess calcium in her poo, and I check...;) My husband says I am poo obsessed. What goes in, must come out and be accounted for, ha, ha! I wonder what the dragons think of their mummys poo obsession? You're not the only one obsessed with your beardies poop Lol, I Keep a record of how the poop is each day/week sometimes, Is it Soft/firm? runny/not, Big/little, Urate color and such things as that. :lol:

I wonder how Bugsy is doing, too...would love an update with some photos, hint, hint.... Same. I'd love to see some updates and Photos of Lil Bugsy.. :wink:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
How's Bugsy been doing lately? :D

Pastella

Original Poster
Sorry I forgot to update you guys! Bugsy settled in nicely and I've felt like I've had him my whole life. We are incredibly bonded and I just adore him. Such a super chill and lovable guy! ❤️

He did get a vet check up. They said he didn't have parasites but I'm not totally convinced. Might get a second opinion. His bent arm is a break from MBD. My vet suggested trying to see if we could straighten it a bit using a splint because it was quite wobbly at the wrist. He wore it for a few weeks and it did seem to help stabilize it a bit.

99932-2924184459.jpg
99932-9817060073.jpg

Here are just some random pics of Bugsy. He sure has changed a lot in color! :D

99932-1509673498.jpg
99932-4984973944.jpg
99932-9154026070.jpg
99932-8564754557.jpg

Janelle

Those pictures really make me smile! I'm so happy to see him so happy! He's adorable, and his face is so expressive.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
That's awesome that Bugsy Is doing well! :D He is soooo beautiful and his face is downright adorable, You are taking excellent care of him. Keep up the good work!

Also I hope that his arm will straighten out a bit more. Hopefully with the proper treatment it will heal soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom