New Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephyAnneBlake

I recently got a baby bearded dragon, Bosley. This is my second dragon I have had however my first one I got when he was about 6 months. The breeder said this little one is just over a month old. I just want to make sure I’m taking care of Bosley correctly.

My main concern is feeding Bosley correctly. I’ve only had her for four days now and I haven’t seen her eat much. And my much I mean I have only seen her eat one bite of her greens and one wax worm. I am making sure the wax worms are small enough for her to eat but she just isn’t eating. Could she still be stressed out by the new environment? Or should I offer her something different? I heard fruit flies are good for little ones but to be honest they gross me out and my roommates don’t want me bringing them into the apartment. So my question about fruit flies is how do I fed them to her?

Also could my other bearded dragon be scaring her? My other guy, Tad, is a year old now and he is HUGE. I have them in separate terrariums but right next to each other. So they can see each other. Could my baby be scared of her big brother? Cause he stares at her all day long.

Bosley is in a 20 gallon glass tank until I can get her something bigger. There is carpeting, a hide, a small tree and some rocks. She has a basking side with a temp that stays around 90. And a UVB light as well. I’ve been putting calcium on her food but since she’s not eating I don’t think that matters.

She will let me pet her and pick her up. She seems very friendly. Again my main concern is her eating. Any suggestions? Thank you!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Most likely relocation stress alongside the fact she thinks she'll be eaten at any moment by your larger dragon...they can be cannibalistic. Make sure you never get them out together or you'll definitely have a dead or injured dragon on your hands.
I'd recommend putting a piece of paper or cardboard between the tanks.

Wax worms cannot be used as a staple, they are too fattening. I'd recommend choosing a staple from the feeding guide below. Do note the "10-20 bugs a feeding" is just a minimum, most people often do how many the dragon will eat each feeding in a 10-15 minute time frame.
All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally, beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However, beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

And a small care sheet for the basics. https://docs.google.com/document/d/18PfjxbgD95KLcfRCqGAVz-ViuMPuP4AvgGBSZzPKRgc/edit?usp=sharing

Her basking spot is way too low, for all ages of dragons it should be between 100-110.
Warm side at about 88-95, cool side 70-85, and nighttime temps 65-85. Which should all be monitored with a temp gun or a digital temperature gauge with a probe, stick on temp gauges do not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom