The REAL Cost Of Beardies!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I thought I would start this thread, to show prospecting owners the true cost of beardie cost, as many seem unaware of how much these little lizards cost. I don't mean this to discourage new owners, but it is better to know ahead of time than it is to find out afterwards that you can't afford the animal and are forced to give it away.

Please share (if you are comfortable of course!) the amount you have spent total, setup cost, food bill, monthly cost, vet bills ect. Hopefully this will help newbies to figure out if they can afford this pet!

I'll start:

In total I would say I have spent about $650+ . For the first year, food was costing $35 or more a month, even with buying in bulk (who knew bugs were so expensive!). Loki's setup cost maybe $250, and I got him for I believe $60. I've spent close to $75 on lighting, maybe a little more. He lives in a 4x2x1.5 foot terrarium, with a ReptiSun 10.0 t5. His food consists of roaches, BSFL, the occasional cricket, and I just ordered some super worms. Also note that I have only had him less than a year and a half!!!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
My beardy who is named Beardy(couldn't come up with anything better, it stuck) is 5 years old and cost me $60 from the expo. I've spent around or up to a $100 on enclosures(thank God for Craigslist). I spend at least $30+ each time i get a new bask and uvb bulb though I imagine the cost will soon come up since I will be finally trying out a tube uvb after using exo terra compact uvbs and different MVBs for the years I've had him. Easy $20 each time i get him new calcium and more recently, multivitamin which i get every few months. I was spending around $5 to $10 every few days on petsmart crickets when he was a baby and juvenile. Now I get them from petco, and will soon be getting them from online or at expos. I was worried at first since the heat where i live and the cold where suppliers are located killed my only online shipment of creatures, superworms. I spend around $5 a week for 35 petco crickets and spent around 7 dollars on $100 crickets at the recent expo. Will be getting again at next month's expo.

picklet

We spent about 1000 dollars at the pet store for Ferdinand, cage, lights, accessories, food, etc. Since then, I've probably spent another 500 upgrading his lighting, getting larger cave decorations, vitamins and other random stuff. We were probably spending 70 a month on his VORACIOUS appetite, but I have found a cheaper supplier of dubias and I've got a colony going, so I'm hoping that will drop now. He has not been to the vet, but I know the minimum visit cost for a reptile is 100.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I keep a spread sheet , this includes a column for lizard food (live insects mainly) and hardware.

I have spend $4500 on live insects (and insect food) over the last 3 years .
This is to feed live insects to my 2 bluetongues, 2 pet water skinks , and on up to 4 bearded dragons over the last 3 years. I also buy mealworms to subsidize the wild water skinks, geckos, frogs and birds as well and this is included in this cost.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
I spent $60 on Gimli, and about $250 on his current setup (40 gal breeder), once i got UV ect straight. I spend about $50 a month on bugs (he eats like a PIG), and about $5 a week on veg. I have about $300 invested in building a new setup (4x2x2 wooden viv with sliding glass doors). I haven't done the fake rock work on it as yet.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Wow, thank you for all the responses! I hope any new prospect owners will take a look at this BEFORE getting their new little friend!

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
My beardie's hides, decor, and uvb lamp probably cost around $200/$225, the tank (from craigslist) was $100 or so, and it included the fixtures/reflectors for the lights and the lights themselves, but I replaced the uvb. Marta herself was only $75 even though she was from a breeder, I guess she looked to 'normal' for a bigger price, the only ones that cost that are ones with nip somethings (except for her). I spend $60 dollars a month on bugs, and get greens from our garden, although sometimes I'll buy some from the store. So overall, I spent $430/$450 dollars in the first month, and I got lucky and got a lot of things for cheap (Marta, basking bulbs, fixtures/reflectors, tank), and then after that I spend a minimum of $60 a month, not counting replacing lights, vet bills, and boarding in some cases, which costs $10 a day.

Catzo

Well I already had most of the stuff, all I needed was lighting and that was $250.

The cost I didn't see coming was the feeders. I can easily spend $20/week on my juvenile because he gets a variety of feeders and I don't buy any in bulk. Don't want 2000 crickets in the house. Had 50 escape 2 months ago and im still finding them.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I have three beardies in total so it's a bit hard to really explain a single beardies cost as I never had one beardie at one time (not counting the other two I had before).
(All these costs are literally just on the beardies, i have 4 other reptiles)

I dont know the cost of a 55 gallon as I already had one, but the cost of a 50 gallon was about 189.99-229.99 each. I bought two of those for my eldest two beardies once they were getting too big for the small 55 gallon.
I then reused that 55 gallon for my youngest beardie, I had her in there for quite a bit before downgrading her to a 20 gallon that i had (Needed to upgrade my BTS), she was not happy about the small space, but learned to get used to it.
A few months later I upgraded her and my adult female to 75 gallons so that was about 97 for one tank and then 200+ for the other. There was a few months in-between and the sale at petco ended so I ended up getting another 75 gallon at petsmart.
Currently my male is still housed in a 50 gallon, luckily I will not have to buy another tank as I will be reusing a third 75 gallon that currently houses a juvenile tegu.

When I first got my two eldest beardies I was feeding them mostly superworms till thats all they would accept for about 10 months of their life. That was about 20 dollars every 3 weeks to feed those two.
Then I finally got them to eat crickets and that was around the time I got my youngest so I was getting about 2,000 crickets every 2-3 weeks to feed all three of them. And that was about 25 each time I had to buy them.
Crickets are what I mainly feed them, however I do feed dubia roaches when I have enough (I have a colony so that doesn't cost anything), and then I also feed BSFL when I can get them and thats about 20 dollars more for 2,000 of them. With about 4,000 feeders that can last me up to a month.

I spent about 20-40 dollars on a zoomed 10.0 compact bulb thinking that was a good idea when I first got them, but ended up only using it for a week until my tube light came when I learned it literally was worthless.
Tube light was about 20-30 dollars, fixture I know for a fact was about 40 dollars.
Every 6 months it costed 20-30 each dollars to replace the reptisun T5 HO 10.0 46" tube light, now it costs me every 12 months probably around 40-50 dollars each to replace a Arcadia T5 HO 14% 46" tube light.

Luckily substrate costs aren't much other than a role or two of paper towels. I use both tile and paper towels, I believe the tile I got is about 20-60 dollars each. I have 4 pieces of tile, two in the youngest's enclosure, and one each in the female and male's enclosures.
Although when I first got my two eldest beardies I think i spent at least 40 dollars on a sand mat that I ended up throwing out and switching for tile and paper towels.

As for heating, I spent around 12 dollars on a worthless red 150 watt bulb on the first night thinking it was too cold for them. I have yet to apologize on forcing my grandma to take me to the store for it.. I only used it for a single night before throwing it in the closet.
I bought a 150 watt regular basking bulb for 8 dollars for during the day. Ended up getting another when I got another enclosure to seperate my two eldest beardies, they both lasted about 6 months on a 14 hour on and 10 hour off schedule.
So thats about 8 dollars every 6 months each on a reptile 150 watt branded basking bulb.

Now if anyone thinks about breeding at all, thinking you have at least enough money to setup tanks, I advise you not to unless you can really, really afford it all.
I now have 27 eggs in an incubator, so I'm about to buy 9,000 food items when they get close to hatching to at least last me maybe a month? The cost came up to about 115 which is cheaper than I expected but for however long I have them I'm going to have to spend 115 dollars monthly on just food. Which is 5,000 BSFL, 3,000 crickets, and 1,000 dubia roaches all in small sizes. As they grow the food items have to be larger which costs more.
(By the way this is only one clutch of eggs, they can have up to at least 6 clutches however because they bred over a year ago I'm guessing the sperm wasn't as effective in creating a lot)

Also another thing I'd like to mention, if you want two beardies and think you can save money having them together for at least a few months and their opposite genders just know you risk what ended up happening to me a year later after they bred at only 6-7 months of age, you also are risking aggression, and biting, and laying on top of each other to get the best lighting and death no matter the gender.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
VenusAndSaturn":1orkqzoe said:
I have three beardies in total so it's a bit hard to really explain a single beardies cost as I never had one beardie at one time (not counting the other two I had before).
(All these costs are literally just on the beardies, i have 4 other reptiles)

I dont know the cost of a 55 gallon as I already had one, but the cost of a 50 gallon was about 189.99-229.99 each. I bought two of those for my eldest two beardies once they were getting too big for the small 55 gallon.
I then reused that 55 gallon for my youngest beardie, I had her in there for quite a bit before downgrading her to a 20 gallon that i had (Needed to upgrade my BTS), she was not happy about the small space, but learned to get used to it.
A few months later I upgraded her and my adult female to 75 gallons so that was about 97 for one tank and then 200+ for the other. There was a few months in-between and the sale at petco ended so I ended up getting another 75 gallon at petsmart.
Currently my male is still housed in a 50 gallon, luckily I will not have to buy another tank as I will be reusing a third 75 gallon that currently houses a juvenile tegu.

When I first got my two eldest beardies I was feeding them mostly superworms till thats all they would accept for about 10 months of their life. That was about 20 dollars every 3 weeks to feed those two.
Then I finally got them to eat crickets and that was around the time I got my youngest so I was getting about 2,000 crickets every 2-3 weeks to feed all three of them. And that was about 25 each time I had to buy them.
Crickets are what I mainly feed them, however I do feed dubia roaches when I have enough (I have a colony so that doesn't cost anything), and then I also feed BSFL when I can get them and thats about 20 dollars more for 2,000 of them. With about 4,000 feeders that can last me up to a month.

I spent about 20-40 dollars on a zoomed 10.0 compact bulb thinking that was a good idea when I first got them, but ended up only using it for a week until my tube light came when I learned it literally was worthless.
Tube light was about 20-30 dollars, fixture I know for a fact was about 40 dollars.
Every 6 months it costed 20-30 each dollars to replace the reptisun T5 HO 10.0 46" tube light, now it costs me every 12 months probably around 40-50 dollars each to replace a Arcadia T5 HO 14% 46" tube light.

Luckily substrate costs aren't much other than a role or two of paper towels. I use both tile and paper towels, I believe the tile I got is about 20-60 dollars each. I have 4 pieces of tile, two in the youngest's enclosure, and one each in the female and male's enclosures.
Although when I first got my two eldest beardies I think i spent at least 40 dollars on a sand mat that I ended up throwing out and switching for tile and paper towels.

As for heating, I spent around 12 dollars on a worthless red 150 watt bulb on the first night thinking it was too cold for them. I have yet to apologize on forcing my grandma to take me to the store for it.. I only used it for a single night before throwing it in the closet.
I bought a 150 watt regular basking bulb for 8 dollars for during the day. Ended up getting another when I got another enclosure to seperate my two eldest beardies, they both lasted about 6 months on a 14 hour on and 10 hour off schedule.
So thats about 8 dollars every 6 months each on a reptile 150 watt branded basking bulb.

Now if anyone thinks about breeding at all, thinking you have at least enough money to setup tanks, I advise you not to unless you can really, really afford it all.
I now have 27 eggs in an incubator, so I'm about to buy 9,000 food items when they get close to hatching to at least last me maybe a month? The cost came up to about 115 which is cheaper than I expected but for however long I have them I'm going to have to spend 115 dollars monthly on just food. Which is 5,000 BSFL, 3,000 crickets, and 1,000 dubia roaches all in small sizes. As they grow the food items have to be larger which costs more.
(By the way this is only one clutch of eggs, they can have up to at least 6 clutches however because they bred over a year ago I'm guessing the sperm wasn't as effective in creating a lot)

Also another thing I'd like to mention, if you want two beardies and think you can save money having them together for at least a few months and their opposite genders just know you risk what ended up happening to me a year later after they bred at only 6-7 months of age, you also are risking aggression, and biting, and laying on top of each other to get the best lighting and death no matter the gender.

Where do you find the time? Or the money? I only have an hour or two of free time on school days(5 days a week). And where do you find enough money by yourself to house thousands of crickets? I call it quits past having 1000 crickets in my 18 gal tote(though I've only housed 100 at a time, will soon be getting bulk for my second reptile).

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Being home schooled really is the only way that I even have the time for all of them.
As for money i question that everyday, luckily as soon as I turn 16 I'm going out and trying to find a job to help further in the costs. Hopefully something that involves reptiles, like working at a local petstore.

I have a decent sized room...although its pretty crowded with only a walkway and a middle to walk/move around in. My room is probably 80% tanks, 10% stuff that I dont need or want, 5% is clothes, and other 5% is probably my bed. Which I am removing and selling/giving it to someone to make room... because 8x3x3 enclosures are large, and I rather have a better organized filled space rather than a messy unorganized filled space.

I use a 90 quart tub for mine, I originally bought it a while ago to house baby beardies as back then I planned to breed in a few years, but then I talked with my mom and decided not to and housed my feeders in them... and then Venus decided to lay a clutch of fertile eggs out of basically no where, just came back from the vet that day and she didnt even look like she was gravid, so now I'm currently deciding on setup for the babies, most likely going with the tanks I have which to my knowledge is about 2 20 gallons and 1-2 55 gallons.

As for food I just give them leftovers of salad or three large leaves of collard/turnip/mustard greens.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
VenusAndSaturn":1s97biur said:
Being home schooled really is the only way that I even have the time for all of them.
As for money i question that everyday, luckily as soon as I turn 16 I'm going out and trying to find a job to help further in the costs. Hopefully something that involves reptiles, like working at a local petstore.

I have a decent sized room...although its pretty crowded with only a walkway and a middle to walk/move around in. My room is probably 80% tanks, 10% stuff that I dont need or want, 5% is clothes, and other 5% is probably my bed. Which I am removing and selling/giving it to someone to make room... because 8x3x3 enclosures are large, and I rather have a better organized filled space rather than a messy unorganized filled space.

I use a 90 quart tub for mine, I originally bought it a while ago to house baby beardies as back then I planned to breed in a few years, but then I talked with my mom and decided not to and housed my feeders in them... and then Venus decided to lay a clutch of fertile eggs out of basically no where, just came back from the vet that day and she didnt even look like she was gravid, so now I'm currently deciding on setup for the babies, most likely going with the tanks I have which to my knowledge is about 2 20 gallons and 1-2 55 gallons.

As for food I just give them leftovers of salad or three large leaves of collard/turnip/mustard greens.

Any guess as to who she mated with?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Most likely Saturn, as that was the only male she was housed with for about a month when she was in my care and they were cohabited together.

Other than that maybe one of the other many males she was housed with at the store?

Either way it'll be nice to see what the outcome is...
Now if there is a leatherback that comes out of that clutch then its 100% not Saturn as he is not a leatherback. There was a few leatherbacks in the same tank though.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
VenusAndSaturn":tom1on7p said:
Most likely Saturn, as that was the only male she was housed with for about a month when she was in my care and they were cohabited together.

Other than that maybe one of the other many males she was housed with at the store?

Either way it'll be nice to see what the outcome is...
Now if there is a leatherback that comes out of that clutch then its 100% not Saturn as he is not a leatherback. There was a few leatherbacks in the same tank though.

Ah, well given her coloring I think her babies will turn out quite nice.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
i don't agree with the high cost stated here. vet visits can add significant cost but that's not something you can really quantify as you don't know what issues you may run into. food for a beardie is very cheap, in my experience its under 15.00 a month. i would recommend anyone with a beardie to have a roach colony that is large enough to be self sustaining, this is a higher up front cost but will last you years and the cost difference of getting 1,000 roaches for 100 bucks vs buying roaches for 3.50 each at a pet store is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom